• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Is the lockdown a bad idea?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DealorNoDeal View Post
    It's a sobering thought but...

In terms of the country's finances, it probably would have had far less impact to compensate everyone, who dies of CV19 in their own home without visiting hospital, £1million*.

200,000 deaths * £1million = £200 billion

* ie. to the deceased's family
    Is that how much a life is worth? £1million. Or is that negotiable?

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
      Maybe you think it is fine that the super rich can carry on asbefore with no impact upon them.
      They'll probably come out of this even richer, as in all disasters.
      Scoots still says that Apr 2020 didn't mark the start of a new stock bull market.

Comment

They'll probably come out of this even richer, as in all disasters.
        Maybe. The only thing that stops "them" seems to be depressions. And we have not had one of those for 90 odd years.

Comment

Is that how much a life is worth? £1million. Or is that negotiable?
          Imagine you are elderly and/or in very poor health. Even if you go to ICU, the chances are high that you will die. Even if you survive, you probably won't have that much longer to live with poor quality of life.

In this situation, you might choose the £1million, for your family, over life.

And BTW, you could probably bump it up to £10million, and it would still be better for the economy.
          Scoots still says that Apr 2020 didn't mark the start of a new stock bull market.

Comment

A bad idea? Its like chopping your head off because you have dandruff.

Gosh. You were serious. How can you place money above people?
            I notice people tend to value lots of things very highly, until they are asked to pay for them or ruin their life for them.
            Last edited by escapeUK; 26 March 2020, 08:11.

Comment

Imagine you are elderly and/or in very poor health. Even if you go to ICU, the chances are high that you will die. Even if you survive, you probably won't have that much longer to live with poor quality of life.

In this situation, you might choose the £1million, for your family, over life.

And BTW, you could probably bump it up to £10million, and it would still be better for the economy.
              And I bet some people will convince their confused relatives that they are better off dead.

Comment

Definetly bad idea. That is posting at odd times of night - if you are bored stick to tpd or the insomnia thread. Or are you Dominic Cummins?

Maybe we should carry on as before(wrecking the planet I might add) anyone who needs ICU treatment will just be given morphine so they can die peacefully - as the real issue here is NHS on its knees and lack of ICU.

Now that would suit me fine. I think anyone who posts on CUK is mentally damaged - I am just more honest. A quiet painless death sounds bliss.

But if someone I know or care about dies, I would be really angry.

PS I might add that Boris could have picked an adviser who is worse. It could be the king of the cretins who has even less empathy.
                What worries me is the period of Civil Unrest when one of the great unwashed realises that the cure for Covid19 is to collect a free TV from the now unguarded retail parks dotted around the country... That virus will spread quicker than Covid19 ever could.

Advice, if you're going to drive with a baseball bat in your car then make sure you have a ball and mitt too...
                Last edited by Zigenare; 26 March 2020, 08:41.
                Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Gosh. You were serious. How can you place money above people?
                  I'm serious in asking the question. I've read an article about life in India, because of the lockdown some people are more worried about starving than the virus. Closing down our economies has a huge impact around the world.

We are richer country so I don't worry about that starving though I have a feeling rationing may be introduced. But if people start losing their houses and can't easily find work then believe me people will start disagreeing with the lockdown.

I do wonder if our economy can survive multiple lock downs over a 2 year period.

Comment

Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post
                    It's precautionary until the NHS has caught up then I should hope it'll be business as usual.
                    That's my hope, what about winter though?

Comment

Originally posted by Zigenare View Post
                      What worries me is the period of Civil Unrest when one of the great unwashed realises that the cure for Covid19 is to collect a free TV from the now unguarded retail parks dotted around the country... That virus will spread quicker than Covid19 ever could.

Advice, if you're going to drive with a baseball bat in your car then make sure you have a ball and mitt too...
                      The army will be deployed.

Comment

Working...
                      X