• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Is the lockdown a bad idea?"

Collapse

• Whorty
    replied

Leave a comment:

• MrMarkyMark
    replied
    Originally posted by dx4100 View Post
    Lots of statics out there but a very real one is around 25 to 50% of patients aren't making it out of ICUs.
    Depends on age and fitness in the main, I guess.

Leave a comment:

• dx4100
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    I read somewhere that 80% of those on ventilators will die. I suppose we will find out in a week or two....
    Lots of statistics out there but a very real one is around 25 to 50% of patients aren't making it out of ICUs.
    Last edited by dx4100; 2 April 2020, 21:56.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
    Thers a big morgue currently being built on Wanstead Flats, so I'm guessing the ExCel will just be a temporary "short stay" hospital
    I read somewhere that 80% of those on ventilators will die. I suppose we will find out in a week or two....

Leave a comment:

• MrMarkyMark
    replied
    Originally posted by SeededLoaf View Post
    Now there's a 4000 bed super hospital in the ExCel. Why don't they let the Londoners loose (but can't leave the city) and build up some herd immunity?

Oh no.. I forgot there's no ventilators.

No ventilators
    No PPE
    No test kits
    Thers a big morgue currently being built on Wanstead Flats, so I'm guessing the ExCel will just be a temporary "short stay" hospital

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Originally posted by SeededLoaf View Post
    Now there's a 4000 bed super hospital in the ExCel. Why don't they let the Londoners loose (but can't leave the city) and build up some herd immunity?

No ventilators
    No PPE
    No test kits
    Define the London boundary that should mark the containment area.

I refer you to:
    https://www.contractoruk.com/forums/...ml#post2752467

And / or:
    https://www.contractoruk.com/forums/...ml#post2752469

Leave a comment:

• SeededLoaf
    replied

No ventilators
    No PPE
    No test kits

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    LBC radio phone has taken a turn now... Its not all happy clappy anymore do as we are told...

People are pointing out the realities of no job + no income...

I reckon the government have a 4 weeks window to get on top of this (prepare the NHS) and then its going to start getting even more ugly. The reality is there is just too many holes in whats been announced (support) and in the end the cure is going to hurt more than the virus.
    You mean we will turn into Spain - As Spain records deadliest day, coronavirus lockdown stirs unrest | News | Al Jazeera

Oh and Boris Johnson was Major of London when the riots happened and people where looting things from Lidl.

Leave a comment:

• MrMarkyMark
    replied
    LBC radio phone has taken a turn now... Its not all happy clappy anymore do as we are told...

I reckon the government have a 4 weeks window to get on top of this (prepare the NHS) and then its going to start getting even more ugly. The reality is there is just too many holes in whats been announced (support) and in the end the cure is going to hurt more than the virus.
    The issue as well as the NHS is the financial support element.
    Businesses are going to fold at a great rate as no money or grants seem to be readily available/accesable.
    If it is available then it's going to take weeks to come through.
    Wages have to be paid first then claimed, with no forthcoming business in sight it's easier to let people go.

The self employed, non Ltd, are looking till the end of June before they get any money as well, not easy, lots will go bust.

I thought the idea was to save the economy, everything the current Government has done seems hellbent on destroying it.

Once people have absolutely nothing then we are in truly dangerous territory

Leave a comment:

• dx4100
    replied
    Originally posted by Paddy View Post
    I noticed that the natives are getting restless as there are a lot more out walking and driving today.

Leave a comment:

• The Janter Effect
    replied
    Originally posted by Scoobos View Post
    It was said by (I think Gove, may have been Boris) but its not in the official guidance

Coronavirus outbreak FAQs: what you can and can't do - GOV.UK

But that said, they are saying only key workers to work at certain points, but if you read that, it clearly says - No, if you cant work from home, go to work on non essential tasks.

That's typical of the management of this whole thing though. I'd rather all (bar key workers).

Oh and following that - if you are with someone sick at work, if you help them - don't go home, just wash yer hands and get back to work, then go home and infect your family.

Guidance for employers and businesses on coronavirus (COVID-19) - GOV.UK

Crackerjack:
    Crackerjack!

Leave a comment:

• AlfredJPruffock
    replied
    The good old days

Back in the Good Old Days of IT , a certain company had a wizard marketing priniciple - FUD - meaning Fear Uncertainty and Doubt.

It worked wonders back then - and - dare I say it ? Seems just as effective nowadays.

Boya and Girls - do be ever so good since you cant be too careful nowadays.

PS I for one favour policies that reward the rich and punish the poor - I think.
    Last edited by AlfredJPruffock; 2 April 2020, 18:35.

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    I noticed that the natives are getting restless as there are a lot more out walking and driving today.

Leave a comment:

• Scoobos
    replied
    It was said by (I think Gove, may have been Boris) but its not in the official guidance

Coronavirus outbreak FAQs: what you can and can't do - GOV.UK

But that said, they are saying only key workers to work at certain points, but if you read that, it clearly says - No, if you cant work from home, go to work on non essential tasks.

That's typical of the management of this whole thing though. I'd rather all (bar key workers).

Oh and following that - if you are with someone sick at work, if you help them - don't go home, just wash yer hands and get back to work, then go home and infect your family.

Guidance for employers and businesses on coronavirus (COVID-19) - GOV.UK

Crackerjack:

Leave a comment:

• pr1
    replied
    Originally posted by The Janter Effect View Post
    Was it Wiggins? You gotta be pretty damn fit to do 45 miles in your allotted 1 hour
    Where does this 1 hour come from?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X