• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Coronavirus: Follow virus advice or 'tougher measures' likely, says PM

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Coronavirus: Follow virus advice or 'tougher measures' likely, says PM

Observing the actions been taken first hand here in Germany and then seeing these pictures below... the mortality rate in Germany is somewhat low compared to Italy & Spain despite the high infection rate, in part because of a huge testing effort and also the system is not at capacity. People just are not out and about, they're taking it seriously and isolating themselves.

Then I look at those pictures and I'm like - WHAT THAT ACTUAL £@$@£ UK are you doing!?!!!

How can people be so ignorant & selfish?

Boris Johnson has warned "tougher measures" could be introduced if people do not take the government's coronavirus advice seriously.

The PM thanked people for making sacrifices but said people must follow social distancing guidance.

"If you don't do it responsibly... we will have to bring forward further measures," he said.

It comes as the number of UK deaths reached 281, including a person aged 18 with an underlying health condition.

They are thought to be the youngest person with the virus to have died in the UK so far.
    Coronavirus: Follow virus advice or 'tougher measures' likely, says PM - BBC News

"Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Essex, Leicestershire and a few London Boroughs have apparently closed their parks today.

The Royal Parks have closed their outer London Parks to traffic this evening.

The National Trust closed all it gardens on Saturday evening.

In Wales and Scotland various politicians are making noise about closing their parks/country side.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
      Because that is what people are like.

Comment

It's to be expected. You can't impose draconian measures in a free society overnight. You have to do it little by little. Tougher measures will gradually be imposed until it's the same as other countries.
        Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
          It's to be expected. You can't impose draconian measures in a free society overnight. You have to do it little by little. Tougher measures will gradually be imposed until it's the same as other countries.
          It’s hard to do it if you are the only country - whole of Europe is doing it, this fking inaction will cost a lot of lives.

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
            Most folks in our neck of the woods din't have to told. They saw the horror across the border, the took their own action.

I'm just surprised so many can't seem to reason between 'draconian measures' and 'do you want to see your loved ones next birthday'.
            Last edited by scooterscot; 23 March 2020, 09:17.
            "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

So ordering people inside is draconian, but “triaging” them to choose who dies later is not draconian.

FFS

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
                Observing the actions been taken first hand here in Germany and then seeing these pictures below... the mortality rate in Germany is somewhat low compared to Italy & Spain despite the high infection rate, in part because of a huge testing effort and also the system is not at capacity. People just are not out and about, they're taking it seriously and isolating themselves.

Then I look at those pictures and I'm like - WHAT THAT ACTUAL £@$@£ UK are you doing!?!!!

Coronavirus: Follow virus advice or 'tougher measures' likely, says PM - BBC News

I'm sure some people are flaunting the rules, but overwhelmingly people are taking this seriously. It's been very quiet where I live (a city centre). Those photos are foreshortened deliberately to make it look worse than it is. Everyone could be 2m apart, except for family groups. Interestingly I've heard the advice it only 1.5m apart in Germany.

The PM doesn't help with his mixed messages re: get out in the open air. He should be locked up in a cupboard for the duration. Someone who understands the science and is onmessage and who inspires trusted should front the press conferences.

Comment

What that guy said.

Most people from different family groups were more than 1/1.5 metres apart.

Also you do not get the virus from being in 1 metre of someone who has it.

It still needs to be passed on and assuming they are not flinging pools of drool at everyone then unlikely to get it.

I get we need to be careful though.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                    So ordering people inside is draconian, but “triaging” them to choose who dies later is not draconian.

FFS
                    Correct. Well done.

Don't forget too that some people have 'self triaged' by having advanced directives. Many people who are already desperately ill will already have a directive in place that states what medical intervention they do, or do not want, should that time ever come.

Keeping people alive (however much, as a loved one, we don't want to see that person pass on) to live a few more months in pain may not be the best option for that person, and may not be what they want. Compare this to a normally healthy person, who will live a full, not in pain or suffering life, once they are out of the risk of the virus.

I get it that some people struggle to understand this as it feels like we should always try to save everybody .... but saving someone, to just keep them in pain and torment, is not always what the sufferer wants.
                    I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Working...
                    X