• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Coronavirus (Covid 19)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Coronavirus (Covid 19)

It now looks as if this government are allowing this virus to spread.
    Only a weeks isolation is suggested if someone shows any symptoms? On top of that, they're then allowed to leave their house (isolation) after a week, if symptoms have disappeared after that time. It takes on average six weeks for this virus to clear. In other countries, two clear tests (tests come back as negative) are required, two days apart from each other, before a patient is declared as clear of the virus. In England's case, the government is asking those with mild symptoms to only isolate for a week, without being tested, before leaving isolation, if symptoms have disappeared. Might I add that many people will be asymptomatic or still have the virus even after their symptoms have cleared! No test can be done now unless symptoms are serious, meaning that after people have isolated for a week, without knowing whether they (still) have the virus or not, will be back outside, spreading it further.
    Tests, apparently, are no longer being carried out on the contacts of confirmed cases either, as the country moves from the "contain" into the "delay" phase. This is no doubt being done as a way of rationing resources (tests, NHS staff etc.) with only people with more serious symptoms able now to call 111. It means that the number of ACTUAL cases will now outweigh those that are reported, by an even far greater margin than was the case before.

So it appears that this government is allowing this virus to spread, which I think was confirmed for me when I came across an article talking about "herd immunity," which means that if a large majority of the population become infected with the virus (around 60%, they say), hopefully they would, as a result, become immune to the virus, therefore reducing the ease at which it is able to spread.
    Personally, I don't think that enough is known about the virus in order to allow for such a plan. I just hope that this has been thoroughly thought out/through by the govornment.

Another article I came across spoke of those who had recovered and overcome the virus (this was based on former patients in Hong Kong), having permanent organ damage; being short of breath very quickly, for example, after simply walking at a faster than normal pace. My point being, that as far as I'm concerned, there is still too much more to learn about this virus before the government implements this plan of allowing 60% of the country to contract it, in order to develop this "herd immunity." Has it even been confirmed yet that immunity towards this virus is built after contracting and overcoming it? Irrespective of how our bodies have responded to other Coronaviruses, this is a new virus that we still don't know enough about.
    Last edited by AB1; 14 March 2020, 21:09.

I just need them to keep the UK open for the next 10 days.

I got a really sweet deal on a French skiing holiday.

* saunters off whistling “I Will Survive” *
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

More folks in the UK have now died than in Germany. Given the UK is 2-3 weeks of weeks behind Germany... that is making me question the strategy the UK is following. Time will tell.

There's border checks now between Austria and Germany. The pistes look empty now... I think there'll be restriction of movement in Austria & Germany in the next week or so.

Sometimes I think the UK puts money before health. It's not like there's a pension crisis in front of us with too many old looking to claim it in the coming years.
      Last edited by scooterscot; 14 March 2020, 17:08.
      "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
        I just need them to keep the UK open for the next 10 days.

I got a really sweet deal on a French skiing holiday.

* saunters off whistling “I Will Survive” *
        France will close next week - whole of EU most likely, sorry...

Comment

This was just shared by an Italian colleague of an Ambulance driver I know here in Munich.

From one of our Italian team

Hey everyone ???,
          I thought id write as maybe you can all learn from our mistakes here in Italy.
          As i imagine you all know (it is hard to hear about anything else), we are all in quarantine here in Italy, with the hope to stop spreading the virus any further. I fear that how it spread here will happen in the rest of Europe too.

Here once the schools closed all the kids would meet together in someones house for lunch or just to hang out, and parents would bring kids to the playground, it was great, it was as if we were all on holidays! Everyone that couldnt work went skiing.
          We knew and continued to watch the numbers of infected rise daily, and the casualties, but didnt exactly change any of our habits. Until now, now when we realise how serious it all is.

Coronavirus is a bit more serious than a flu, many people get it and get better without serious complications, many kids get it, have no symptoms and are fine (but are still contagious and infect grandparents or others who may not shake the virus quite so easily), but some (about 50%) get it and need to go to hospital, they get a bad lung infection and may need to be put on a machine to help them breathe, till they get better again. Here the death rate is rising as they simply dont have enough equipment in the hospitals, so they have to chose who gets saved, and they will chose under 60's. Which is very young.

Only now, we have started being careful. We are all staying inside. Ettore goes to work, but stays far from the others in the office, and washes his hands once he comes home. We can go out for a walk but if we meet anyone we have to stay at least a metre away. I do the shopping alone, making sure to keep my distance from others in the shop, and trying not to touch my face . When i come back home i wash my hands carefully.(now they limit how many people can be in the shop at 1 time)

The girls get all their school stuff sent online, and have to email the work back to their teachers.

It seems a sad way to live, insensitive and cold, but it is the only chance we have to a actually stop spreading the virus further. For a while we have to suspend eating out, travelling, going to shows, pub, bar, school, sporting events.....anything where we need to be in close contact with others. Even taking the bus is risky, if its packed, and someone sneezes?....so really the best thing, the only thing to stop spreading this virus further is to sacrifice a little of our habits and stay at home, not just to protect ourselves, but to protect the others who may be a little more fragile than we are.

Just thought i would write to you, in case you all see it as someone elses problem. This virus is so contagious, and you only discover that you have it after 14 days of going around infecting everyone that you have been in contact with.

I imagine you all know all of this already anyway, but so did everyone here in Italy, and now look at how it spread!

Hope everyone is well, and hope to see you all soon once this situation has settled
          "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Last post looks much more real compared to disinfo of the OP

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
              This was just shared by an Italian colleague of an Ambulance driver I know here in Munich.
              I see it everyday. Kids playing out with each other etc. as if nothing is going on. My guess is that many people won't start taking it seriously till they're directly affected or it's too late. I've heard that it's just a matter of time before England ends up like Italy.
              Not trying to be a fear monger, but in this case, ignorance isn't bliss either.
              Last edited by AB1; 14 March 2020, 17:38.

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
                This is why the UK isn't closing schools just yet.
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

While the rest of world is going for social distancing and isolation, Britain has bravely decided to be the control group, in the form a massive "chicken pox" party. In this way, we can determine whether social distancing etc. actually has any effect.

It's just good scientific practice.
                  Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

And the same people bulk buying toilet rolls probably think self isolation just means not going to work...
                    If you don't have anything nice to say, say it sarcastically

Comment

Working...
                    X