• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Such. Strong. Leadership

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by merseygrit View Post
    The official policy is for at least 60% of the population to catch it and gain "herd immunity" before winter. That's 39.9m+ people in the UK.
    The WHO estimate a 3.4% mortality rate. If we're lucky and it's a 1% mortality rate, then it's still nearly 400,000 dead.
    But how many of those are likely to die in the same period from a cold or flu or whatever they might already be suffering from?
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by tomtomagain View Post
      When all this done-and-dusted in 9 months time. Then, and only then, will we be able to understand which country took the most appropriate response.
      This

Of course, people will claim that, in hindsight, they called the outcome
      I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

the Archbishop of Canterbury has told priests to stop touching people. But the church has been saying that for years, and it's not worked so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
          At the moment - but when will they implement the next lockdown - the virus is now out in the wild, you can't stop it just manage how quickly everyone catches it.
          what about korea, singapore and taiwan. they are controlling it.

Comment

I'm 50/50 on this.

A prolonged period of shutdown is devastating - I already have a friend who's lost his livelihood over this (freelance sports journalist), and many that are very worried. It's devastating for small businesses - cafes, pubs, escape rooms, entertainment venues, gyms etc etc.

Schools shut - nurses can't work because they have no childcare - or get elderly grandparents to mind the kids - not a great plan.

This isn't just inconvenience - it causes real hardship and desperation, not to mention the impact on people's mental health.

I doubt shutdown measures will mean significantly fewer people get it - but they will mean fewer get it at once, so the NHS will be less overwhelmed (be in no doubt they will be overwhelmed) so fewer people will die.

It is a tough one.

Comment

This is a REALLY important read for those that may be interested: Coronavirus: Why You Must Act Now - Tomas Pueyo - Medium

Warning: it's very long and it contains many graphs.
              ---

Former member of IPSE.

---
              Many a mickle makes a muckle.

---

Comment

Originally posted by Andy2 View Post
                what about korea, singapore and taiwan. they are controlling it.
                until things return to normal and it starts spreading again

it isn’t going to go away so all you can do is plan how people get it in a way that doesn’t swamp icu units
                merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

just saw a tweet that doctors in milan are leaving anyone over 60 to die as there are not enough ventilators.
                  30% of hospitalized patients are in the age group 30-60
                  terrible situation

https://twitter.com/STrosterud/statu...47269465116672
                  Last edited by Andy2; 13 March 2020, 14:13.

Comment

Originally posted by wattaj View Post
                    This is a REALLY important read for those that may be interested: Coronavirus: Why You Must Act Now - Tomas Pueyo - Medium

Warning: it's very long and it contains many graphs.
                    When did the author of that piece become a world expert in the spread of contagious viruses?

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                      until things return to normal and it starts spreading again

it isn’t going to go away so all you can do is plan how people get it in a way that doesn’t swamp icu units
                      If you isolate until there are no sufferers, it can be eradicated. Though it's pretty unlikely.
                      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                      Originally posted by vetran
                      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
                      X