• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Is this the end?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lance View Post
    don't do it. I bought a jump starter from Amazon that seemed not very heavy but claimed to start big cars. It barely charged an iPad.

This is what you want. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Clarke-4000...2171047&sr=8-1

Note that it weighs 17kg not 3.4kg. Weight is important in these things.
    £167.99

Before rushing out and buying one of these, try the following.

Connect a regular car battery charger* to the battery. If it has a "fast charge" setting, use this. Leave for 2 hours, then try turning over the engine.

PS. Always disconnect the charger before starting the engine, otherwise you could blow the fuse in the charger.

* if you haven't already got a charger, you should buy one anyway. You can pick one up, that'll do the job, for under 20 quid.
    Last edited by DealorNoDeal; 28 October 2019, 08:26. Reason: PS
    Scoots still says that Apr 2020 didn't mark the start of a new stock bull market.

Comment

Originally posted by DealorNoDeal View Post
      * if you haven't already got a charger, you should buy one anyway. You can pick one up, that'll do the job, for under 20 quid.
      Something like this should more than do the job. (You want a charger with a minimum of about 6A to be able to recharge the battery enough, in a couple of hours, to turn the engine over.)

This one also displays the voltage. (Fully charged = 12.6v)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/BUDDYGO-Int.../dp/B07VPYCFVK
      Scoots still says that Apr 2020 didn't mark the start of a new stock bull market.

Comment

£167.99

Before rushing out and buying one of these, try the following.

Connect a regular car battery charger* to the battery. If it has a "fast charge" setting, use this. Leave for 2 hours, then try turning over the engine.

PS. Always disconnect the charger before starting the engine, otherwise you could blow the fuse in the charger.

If I didn't live in a flat in central London where my car is parked in another road, this would definitely be an option

I didn't buy that one, there was another my brother recommended that was about £95 and has an air compressor too.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
          If I didn't live in a flat in central London where my car is parked in another road, this would definitely be an option

I didn't buy that one, there was another my brother recommended that was about £95 and has an air compressor too.
          Sell the car. Better still, give it to me. I'll look after it, promise.
          Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Originally posted by Zigenare View Post
            Sell the car. Better still, give it to me. I'll look after it, promise.
            Now you sound like my brother!

Comment

Sh!t, that makes me his dad as well...
              His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
                Sh!t, that makes me his dad as well...
                So I'm not the only one who's had that tulip from a relative then, eh?
                Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Oh, I see.

Do you have to charge these jump starters from the mains, or do they charge up off the car's alternator?

Comment

Oh, I see.

Do you have to charge these jump starters from the mains, or do they charge up off the car's alternator?
                    Mine was one of the ones that basically has a car battery inside (and doubles as an air compressor) and it could be charged off the mains or the fag lighter socket in the car. Obviously it charged faster off the mains, but I used the lighter socket to keep it topped up as I travelled around, as it was unlikely I’d be able to recharge it from the mains before restarting the engine at Sainsbury’s petrol station. I think it was probably good for at least three or four starts on a single charge anyway, though.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                      Mine was one of the ones that basically has a car battery inside (and doubles as an air compressor) and it could be charged off the mains or the fag lighter socket in the car. Obviously it charged faster off the mains, but I used the lighter socket to keep it topped up as I travelled around, as it was unlikely I’d be able to recharge it from the mains before restarting the engine at Sainsbury’s petrol station. I think it was probably good for at least three or four starts on a single charge anyway, though.

I had a Halfords one like that, worked great for years, but was very heavy.
                      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Working...
                      X