• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Is this the end?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
    Kwikfit have a nasty habit of unnecessary upselling.
    I always found that if I went to Kwik-Fit for a new tyre, my exhaust would develop a problem not long after. And vice-versa.

All purely coincidental of course

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
      It’s no more than a minor hassle once you get used to it, particularly compared to the good old days of cranking the starting handle
      Which particular vehicle was the Super Monkey Car at the time?

I recall attempting to start a Rover P4 using the starting handle.

I wasn't strong enough.
      When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
        Some here may know that I have an old (04) Nissan 350z as my gas guzzler of choice. Had her for 10 or so years now.

I drive about every 6 weeks or so, to visit the parentals, so it was unsurprising the other week when I discovered the battery dead as a dead thing one rainy, windswept morning. Got a new battery fitted at short notice from the lovely chaps at Kwik Fit (my car has a 'special' battery; none of that universal, find one anywhere types common folk have). It seemed plausible that it had died, the last battery change was over 5 years ago.

Imagine, therefore, my dismay when I pop out to my car three days after the new battery has been fitted to discover it be dead as a dead thing once again.

Now starts the presumably expensive game of 'find the electrical fault' that is draining the battery.

Shall I just give up now or fight the good fight for a while longer?
        nah this is the end!

buy a charger from Amazon and enjoy many years fully charged!
        Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
          Which particular vehicle was the Super Monkey Car at the time?

I recall attempting to start a Rover P4 using the starting handle.

I wasn't strong enough.
          I’ve never used a starting handle myself, but I remember my father having to use it to get his Austin Cambridge going when it was unwell in the 1960s

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
            I’ve never used a starting handle myself, but I remember my father having to use it to get his Austin Cambridge going when it was unwell in the 1960s

My brother in law was a Ford pop fan so yes a starting handle was very effective.
            Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
              My brother in law was a Ford pop fan so yes a starting handle was very effective.
              Little engine, low compression vs Rover P4: big engine, 6 cylinder, quite high compression: truss required after attempt.

Comment

Originally posted by DealorNoDeal View Post
                I only use my car a couple of times a week, and have to leave it permanently on a trickle charger. The parasitic load, when it's parked up, drains the battery in 7-10 days to a point where the starter motor won't turn the engine over. ...
                Something else you can do is have a rotary battery switch fitted. By rotary I mean you have to turn it like a tap to close the contact, which is much safer than a simple lever or something that might turn it off while driving, for example if things started shifting in the boot and moved the switch.

My Rangerover jumps into life and starts whirring when I go anywhere near it, even if I have no intention if driving it. I can hear a fan spinning away running down the battery. Why oh why did the idiot designers allow this stupidity?! When a vehicle is off, it should be OFF!
                Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Ladymuck can you post pics when you try all of the above please

Or I would pay hard cash to see HWMBO try these

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
                    Why oh why did the idiot designers allow this stupidity?! When a vehicle is off, it should be OFF!
                    Oh, off hasn't meant off for 20 years or more.

There are specs for how much current a module is allowed to take when it's "off".

The first Corolla I bought took half an amp when it was "off" which flattened the battery in a week, from fully charged to won't turn the engine over.

Obviously it had a fault somewhere, but as mentioned above, a trickle charger kept the battery topped up and it lasted for years like that.

Comment

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
                      Oh, off hasn't meant off for 20 years or more.

There are specs for how much current a module is allowed to take when it's "off".

The first Corolla I bought took half an amp when it was "off" which flattened the battery in a week, from fully charged to won't turn the engine over.

Obviously it had a fault somewhere, but as mentioned above, a trickle charger kept the battery topped up and it lasted for years like that.
                      Mine draws 100ma. Doesn't sound much but that's over 2 amps a day; 14 amps a week. A couple of weeks or so and the battery is too low to turn the engine over.

BTW, I tried one of those solar trickle chargers. Just about works in the summer but useless in the winter. Also, if you have even slightly tinted windows it greatly reduces the power output of the solar panel.
                      Last edited by DealorNoDeal; 26 October 2019, 07:08.
                      Scoots still says that Apr 2020 didn't mark the start of a new stock bull market.

Comment

Working...
                      X