• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Is liberalism obsolete?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jog On View Post
    The 'alt-right' probably do. What about the critics of liberalism who aren't alt-right? Like Jordan Peterson, Ben Shapiro etc?
    Dont follow them so can't comment. But I am guessing they do not make general sweeping statements that liberals label anyone who disagrees with them as a Nazi or racist. Because that would be daft. I might disagree with someone on whether healthcare should be free at the point of delivery. It could get heated. But I wouldn't call them a Nazi or racist. That would be plain weird.

Amusingly, by saying that liberals say x and y about people they disagree with, you are making up stuff about at least a subset of people you disagree with. A shame really because there is probably an interesting discussion about why some liberals overuse accusations of racism and Nazism, and why some right wingers overstate how often this happens.

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post
      They aren't making him "look" like an intolerant racist, they are merely reporting what he said. The fact that what he said is intolerant and racist is not the Beeb's fault.

It's very sad that as humans we can't accept that we are all the same despite the colour of our skin or who was brought up in a different part of the world..

Anyone against multi-culturalism (whether whites against non-whites or vice-versa) are racists. It's really as simple as that.
      What did he say that is intolerant and racist?

These are the actual words he said that the BBC quoted:

"This liberal idea presupposes that nothing needs to be done. That migrants can kill, plunder and rape with impunity because their rights as migrants have to be protected."
      My interpretation is that migrants should not be above the law because they are migrants

"no problems with LGBT persons… but some things do appear excessive to us".

"They claim now that children can play five or six gender roles," he continued.

"Let everyone be happy, we have no problem with that. But this must not be allowed to overshadow the culture, traditions and traditional family values of millions of people making up the core population."
      My interpretation of that is that everyone can do/be what they want and the core population are still 'traditional' - ie straight and CIS gendered and they can do/be be what they want as well without having other people's cultures forced on them.
      Last edited by Jog On; 28 June 2019, 15:29. Reason: BBC quotes
      "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

You said:

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
        Trying to stifle free speech by labelling people as politically correct and condemning them for using words like 'racist' or 'sexist'.

HTH
        Nonsense. The alt right want to make it unacceptable to call a racist a racist. This is a sign of their hypocrisy when it comes to free speech and debate.
        Dont follow them so can't comment. But I am guessing they do not make general sweeping statements that liberals label anyone who disagrees with them as a Nazi or racist. Because that would be daft. I might disagree with someone on whether healthcare should be free at the point of delivery. It could get heated. But I wouldn't call them a Nazi or racist. That would be plain weird.

Amusingly, by saying that liberals say x and y about people they disagree with, you are making up stuff about at least a subset of people you disagree with. A shame really because there is probably an interesting discussion about why some liberals overuse accusations of racism and Nazism, and why some right wingers overstate how often this happens.
        So basically you agree that liberals label people as racists/sexists etc to shut down the discussion. And you think that people pointing this out are 'stifling free speech'. You can try and over complicate it all you want but it's a very simple concept of one side using the 'hate speech' argument to shut down the opposition rather than argue on the actual points. And no - this isn't something the right do, it's absolutely a liberal thing. Everyone (including you) knows this.

Glad you think it's daft though, can agree with that.
        "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

You said:

So basically you agree that liberals label people as racists/sexists etc to shut down the discussion.
          No, I said:

some liberals overuse accusations of racism and Nazism
          Not what you claim I said at all. Shame you missed an opportunity for an interesting coversation. I'm off ot the beach now.

Comment

Anyone against multi-culturalism (whether whites against non-whites or vice-versa) are racists. It's really as simple as that.

nice opinion got any facts?
            Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
              nice opinion got any facts?
              It's an opinion and therefore doesn't need to be backed up by facts. FFS, you really are dim.
              I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

What did he say that is intolerant and racist?

These are the actual words he said that the BBC quoted:

My interpretation is that migrants should not be above the law because they are migrants

My interpretation of that is that everyone can do/be what they want and the core population are still 'traditional' - ie straight and CIS gendered and they can do/be be what they want as well without having other people's cultures forced on them.
                Your interpretation is based on your own biased narrative. My interpretation of your biased view is you are wrong, and way off the mark
                I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Your interpretation is based on your own biased narrative. My interpretation of your biased view is you are wrong, and way off the mark
                  And what would be your interpretation of the actual words he said that the BBC quoted and where is the racism etc you referred to?

My interpretation of your biased view is similar to the one you have of mine.

Comment

No it's not. For it to be as simple as that you'd have to define multi-culturalism.

Honour-killing of daughters who sleep with guys they aren't married to, or marry outside their religion, is an accepted part of some cultures. Is it racist to ban that in the UK? Yes or no?

If we want to make opposition to multi-culturalism 'racist' and yet restrict certain cultural practices then we have to come up with a definition of multi-culturalism that works. Otherwise, you've turned 'racist' into a meaningless and subjective word with your statement.

Comment

Originally posted by WordIsBond View Post
                      No it's not. For it to be as simple as that you'd have to define multi-culturalism.

Honour-killing of daughters who sleep with guys they aren't married to, or marry outside their religion, is an accepted part of some cultures. Is it racist to ban that in the UK? Yes or no?

If we want to make opposition to multi-culturalism 'racist' and yet restrict certain cultural practices then we have to come up with a definition of multi-culturalism that works. Otherwise, you've turned 'racist' into a meaningless and subjective word with your statement.
                      What a stupid question. We already have laws in the UK regarding murder.
                      Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Working...
                      X