• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Is liberalism obsolete?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Zigenare View Post
    What a stupid question. We already have laws in the UK regarding murder.
    Surprisingly I happen to be aware of this fact. Maybe someone would argue it is racist, I want to find out.

And France has a law making it illegal to cover your face with a veil in public places. Maybe someone would argue that is racist, I want to find out.

Both laws create problems for certain cultural practices, do they not? So if multi-culturalism is the holy grail by which 'racism' is determined, how much multi-culturalism is required for us to escape being racists?

I'm not asking you, I can guess what you'll say. I'm asking the guy who wants to assert that anyone who opposes multi-culturalism is racist. He has to tell us what he means by multi-culturalism or we have the right to say, 'What a fool, throwing accusations around like that and he doesn't even know what he means.'

Comment

Originally posted by WordIsBond View Post
      Surprisingly I happen to be aware of this fact. Maybe someone would argue it is racist, I want to find out.

And France has a law making it illegal to cover your face with a veil in public places. Maybe someone would argue that is racist, I want to find out.

Both laws create problems for certain cultural practices, do they not? So if multi-culturalism is the holy grail by which 'racism' is determined, how much multi-culturalism is required for us to escape being racists?

I'm not asking you, I can guess what you'll say. I'm asking the guy who wants to assert that anyone who opposes multi-culturalism is racist. He has to tell us what he means by multi-culturalism or we have the right to say, 'What a fool, throwing accusations around like that and he doesn't even know what he means.'
      Old Greg works on cause and effect. His cause is to piss off as many people as he can. Don't engage, his opinion won't change and you're giving him free entertainment.
      Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Thanks, I wasn't replying to OG. You might have more credibility if you'd read carefully the stuff to which you respond, FWIW.

If liberalism is dead it's because it has sold out to identity politics and lost its soul. Instead of being about freedom it has become about restricting what people can and can't say and think and anointing certain favoured 'characteristics' as 'identities to be protected.' Those who disagree are to be labeled as things like 'racist' or a bunch of other 'ists' or '-phobics', ostracised, and perhaps even brought under the force of the law. And the so-called 'liberals' who have become anything but liberal will decide that you are 'xenophobic' (or whatever -phobic or -ist they want to use against you) based on their definition.

Liberalism used to say, 'I deplore what you said but I will defend to the death your right to say it. Just don't try to impose on me what you think or make me fall into line with your behaviour.' Now, 'liberalism' is the imposer that wants to prevent you saying it, prevent you saying anything that might even make anyone suspect you think it, and if they had a way to read your mind and find out what you are thinking they'd use that, too.

If an anti-Semite ever said anything and you happen to say something similar, you are 'anti-Semitic' and have to genuflect towards Jerusalem or some Jewish body to do penance. If you should ever say something similar to what an anti-gay rights campaigner once said, you are no doubt homophobic and must prostrate yourself before Peter Tatchell at the Stonewall temple and ask forgiveness. If you should be so unfortunate to use the word 'niggardly' (which has nothing to do with race), not realising that so many of the current crop of so-called 'liberals' are uneducated idiots, you will be henceforth a 'racist' and must make huge donations to an appropriate charity to buy indulgences for your soul. And so on and so on. Make the wrong step and your business is destroyed, your reputation ruined forever, and they won't be content until you are bankrupted.

Liberalism isn't dead but it's a hollow shell without any substance to it. It sold out to racial politics in America for electoral gain and has now been sold down the river throughout the Western world. Putin, of course, is deplorable in many ways and hasn't as far as I know apologised for helping to oppress his own people by enforcing dead communist liberalism in the past. But he's at least partly right.

Comment

It's also cool and trendy to hate Trump and share hilarious ant-Trump memes on social media.
          "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

One senses a certain frustration amongst Trump supporters, that the Liberal media is laughing at them.

I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
              One senses a certain frustration amongst Trump supporters, that the Liberal media is laughing at them.

He'll still win again - then we'll see more than frustration on the liberal side
              "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

Originally posted by Jog On View Post
                He'll still win again - then we'll see more than frustration on the liberal side
                How's the wall going ?

I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post

He doesn't help himself. His feud with John McCain (for example) is completely nuts.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
                    He doesn't help himself. His feud with John McCain (for example) is completely nuts.
                    No kidding.

Comment

If he can fire John Bolton that would be nice

Comment

Working...
                      X