• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

'Coloured' not PC anymore

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm pretty sure it was only a few years back when we were being told by influential community voices that coloured was exactly the term they wanted to be referred to by.

Not that I ever did mind, as I viewed it an Americanism that would sound false coming out of my plummy lips.

If I go and live in America I will still be an English Man. An African is an African and I will refer to her so where ever she lives so if that offends then so be it.

Comment

Martin Luther King was a member of the NAACP, The National Association for the Advancement of Colored People.

when all of God's children, black men and white men, Jews and Gentiles, Protestants and Catholics, will be able to join hands and sing in the words of the old negro spiritual, "Free at last, free at last. Thank God Almighty, we are free at last."

This is the NAACP now...

NAACP links earthquake signs in Oregon to white supremacy

Don't be afraid to stand up to this bulltulip.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
        You are an evangelical Christian?
        Yes. But not a creationist, if that's what you're implying. And ID is a form of creationism.

Back in 2008, the NAACP said:

“The term ‘colored’ is not derogatory,... They (the NAACP) chose the word ‘colored’ because it was the most positive description commonly used at that time. It’s outdated and antiquated but not offensive.”

As I am in a mixed race family I find the whole concept of such labelling odd. The idiot claim that all white people are racist - how does that work for mixed race? Do they have to beat themselves up? Or must they be half ashamed? Does the white count as half-privileged? For my grandson - will he be quarter-privileged? Are they automatically coloured, or black, or whatever term people prefer to use? Is it the degree of whiteness that matters? That begins to sound like the racist policies of Apartheid, or the Southern States of not that long ago. Is that where PC is heading?
        Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
          Yes. But not a creationist, if that's what you're implying.

Back in 2008, the NAACP said:

“The term ‘colored’ is not derogatory,... They (the NAACP) chose the word ‘colored’ because it was the most positive description commonly used at that time. It’s outdated and antiquated but not offensive.”

As I am in a mixed race family I find the whole concept of such labelling odd. The idiot claim that all white people are racist - how does that work for mixed race? Do they have to beat themselves up? Or must they be half ashamed? Does the white count as half-privileged? For my grandson - will he be quarter-privileged? Are they automatically coloured, or black, or whatever term people prefer to use? Is it the degree of whiteness that matters? That begins to sound like the racist policies of Apartheid, or the Southern States of not that long ago. Is that where PC is heading?
          Just refer to everyone as 256 shades of grey, although anyone who is actually grey maybe offended by this.

Just to be clear, as a person who's shade of grey is towards the lighter end of the scale (except for quite a few (right arm and right half of torso) red birthmarks which are definitely not grey) I find being referred to as a snowflake very offensive.

Comment

Originally posted by Yorkie62 View Post
            Just refer to everyone as 256 shades of grey, although anyone who is actually grey maybe offended by this.
            Referring to people by their skin colour seems ok to me, in the same way as referring to their hair or eye colour. It's the classification of people according to skin colour that's stupid. "So and so is black". No, they're a chocolatey brown. Or have darker skin than the pale fellow over there.
            I find being referred to as a snowflake very offensive.
            As you're a gammon, I can understand that.
            Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
              Mmm. We the mods have access to more information than you do.

Such accusations have been wrong before. Furthermore whether this was a sockie, your misogyny was offensive to others than myself

I note you gave a helpful answer in the end. Which was nice of you.
              People taking offense? In General? Surely not.
              Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Originally posted by Zigenare View Post
                People taking offense? In General? Surely not.
                Never. You can call a spade a spade around here without fear of falling foul of Wilde's observation

Originally posted by Oscar Wilde
                The man who could call a spade a spade should be compelled to use one. It is the only thing he is fit for.

Comment

Originally posted by BR14 View Post
                  yeh, so is calling someone white also problematic? - brown? red? sallow? how does one describe people without some twat taking offence? - and the twats are usually tree hugging white middle class hippies
                  We'd refer to you and your mates on here as gammon, overweight and educationally challenged

HTH
                  I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Originally posted by Yorkie62 View Post
                    I find being referred to as a snowflake very offensive.
                    Noted
                    I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post
                      We'd refer to you and your mates on here as gammon, overweight and educationally challenged

HTH
                      and i care what a rock spider thinks

Comment

Working...
                      X