• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

to cctv or not to cctv?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

to cctv or not to cctv?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-shoppers.html

Police in Manchester are caught using face-scan cameras as they spy on shoppers in the search for criminalsMillions of shoppers secretly had their faces scanned by high-tech cameras
    Each visitor to Manchester's Trafford Centre over six months was monitored
    Automatic Facial Recognition technology picks faces out of crowds for police
    Good , bad or indifferent?
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Originally posted by vetran View Post
    If it actually worked the way it does on NCIS, 24, etc. it might be worth it.

But it doesn't.
    When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

If you’re not up to anything wrong then nowt to worry about.

Having seen usual Police CCTV stills that look more pixelated than an 80s 8-bit platformer then anything that helps identify thieving scrotes is all good in my book.

Comment

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
        If it actually worked the way it does on NCIS, 24, etc. it might be worth it.

But it doesn't.

I would be personally quite happy if it could identify he came from near number 38 and he was white, about twenty & 150 pounds so it eliminates 99% of the people on the street then the humans can review the rest.

That would be a massive improvement. linking across multiple cameras would be good, I was watching a program called Tomorrows world (not that one) and it had Dutch or Belgian police testing just such a system. They agreed it was difficult to get 100% match but getting a 90%+ match meant they only needed a few seconds of human review.

Comment

Some of these CCTV pics you see on crime reports are so crappy even most basic details, like ethnicity, are dubious
          bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
          John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
            Some of these CCTV pics you see on crime reports are so crappy even most basic details, like species, are dubious
            FTFY.

I'm sure I spotted that Zeity character once or twice on Crimewatch.
            When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
              FTFY.

I'm sure I spotted that Zeity character once or twice on Crimewatch.

to be fair that is a challenge face to face, Friend of mine's brother became a traveller it was difficult to recognise him.

Comment

Originally posted by fatJock View Post
                If you’re not up to anything wrong then nowt to worry about.
                That is such a dangerous statement and one that completely undermines the whole concept of privacy.

It's not about doing right or wrong, it's about being able to conduct your day to day activities without being unnecessarily spied on, monitored, tracked and logged.

It's an insidious nonsense excuse that monitoring the populace and collecting data on everyone is there to stop crime and prevent terrorism. All it does is subject law abiding citizens to controls that curtail their freedom and remove their privacy while the alleged real targets continue pretty much as they were.

(I haven't read the article as I avoid the daily fail on principle)

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
                  That is such a dangerous statement and one that completely undermines the whole concept of privacy.

It's not about doing right or wrong, it's about being able to conduct your day to day activities without being unnecessarily spied on, monitored, tracked and logged.

It's an insidious nonsense excuse that monitoring the populace and collecting data on everyone is there to stop crime and prevent terrorism. All it does is subject law abiding citizens to controls that curtail their freedom and remove their privacy while the alleged real targets continue pretty much as they were.

(I haven't read the article as I avoid the daily fail on principle)
                  I see it as the same as having more human observers, we already have the CCTV its the people watching it that we are short of.

We do need to restrict the use of the recordings.

Comment

Is it GDPR compliant?
                    Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Working...
                    X