• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

David Bellamy on Global Warming

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cowboy Bob
    Perhaps we do, however the media seems to protray it as 100% the fault of man, which is quite wrong.

But then, I've hardly ever read a decently researched media piece on science yet - though some are better than others. If you've ever cringed when reading a technology piece in the paper, you know what I'm talking about...
    Well the general level of scientific illiteracy in this country is huge and journalists who normally studied English or Meejah Studies don't have a clue.
    Come to think of it, many people on this forum, who I assume studied a scientific subject, are not much better.
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by Cowboy Bob
      Perhaps we do, however the media seems to protray it as 100% the fault of man, which is quite wrong.

But then, I've hardly ever read a decently researched media piece on science yet - though some are better than others. If you've ever cringed when reading a technology piece in the paper, you know what I'm talking about...
      The point is if we are contributing to, would we be happy with the consequences I'm not talking the death ans destruction portrayed in the media, but still major effects on the way we live, the prevailing attitude here is fook the consequences, I'm alright jack. Let London sink under the sea, I'll be long dead.
      I remember the good old days of this site when people used to moan about serious contractor related issues like house prices and immigration. How times have changed!?

Comment

Originally posted by Numptycorner
        The point is if we are contributing to, would we be happy with the consequences I'm not talking the death ans destruction portrayed in the media, but still major effects on the way we live, the prevailing attitude here is fook the consequences, I'm alright jack. Let London sink under the sea, I'll be long dead.
        Absolutely. I'm all for green living and reducing pollution. Just because we are not the underlying cause of the problem doesn't mean we should be happy to help the problem occur at a faster rate.
        Listen to my last album on Spotify

Comment

It seems to me the stakeholder positions are:

A/ Those who seek to manipulate the debate for their own agenda

B/ Those who do not have an agenda but realise there may be a problem

C/ Those who have a personal resistance to any change and look for justification

Those in A either:

1/ See it as an opportunity to raise revenue
          2/ See it s an opportunity to promote green policies
          3/ Seek to confuse and confound the debate in order to protect the status quo/vested intrests

Those in B:

are willing to remain open minded and try to untangle it from those in camp A

Those in C
          Couldn't really care less, but A/3 makes them feel better.
          I remember the good old days of this site when people used to moan about serious contractor related issues like house prices and immigration. How times have changed!?

Comment

Isn't it all really down to the cows farting methane?
            Perhaps if NL contrived another BSE scare and conducted a large cull, it could then claim the UK had also 'done its bit' to reduce global warming (probably about 0.0000001%, but hey, it's a headline).
            "My God, it's huge!!"

Comment

Working...
            X