• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Bank of England Base rate & other news

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    The racists don't want to reduce immigration for housing concerns, they just hate coloured people and are looking for reasons to justify it.

We can fit loads more people in cities if we build up. That was how you won big in SimCity 2000 after all...
    you missed the sarcasm.

Anyone who asked questions like where are all these people going to live? Where are they going to school/Hospital/GP How are we going to pay for services for the proportionally poorer paid workers? was accused of racism.

If you actually look at the questioners its normally former migrants that are affected most badly by new arrivals. I can afford to move out of London, buy an expensive house and out of jobs that are being undercut. Those doing menial tasks can't. They are the ones suffering social housing or struggling to pay rent.

Why do I have an image of Karl Urban in his Judge Dredd outfit when you suggest building up?

I have three sets of friends who lived in different blocks, the 2000AD vision is scarily accurate in council blocks, maybe you are looking at £1 million flats in Docklands? The reality for most blocks is horrifying, just look at the difficulties suffered in Grenfell before the fire its across many blocks. Innocent people being assaulted in lifts , Anti social behaviour , public drug taking, shopping trolleys coming off balconies, motor bikes in hallways, syringes in kiddies playgrounds and Fanta style puddles in most stairways were horribly common.

2 of them have moved to houses away from the blocks and their life improved immeasurably immediately.

Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Isn't this where the argument of market forces comes to play? If there is a big enough population to support shops, restaurants, etc then people will start them. "You can't build houses there aren't enough shops" means there will never be more houses.
      Different for public services but to an extent it's still the same situation, services grow/shrink in response to population unless you are planning a New Town. More tricky for infrastructure but even then, additional houses means more council tax income to spend on roads, police, etc.
      That's so true: both centrally planned economies and market driven economies fail do deliver 'social good'.

I'd make developers of large housing developments collectively required to construct 'social good' infrastructure, or leave space for it with bonded funding for its future construction. Many of these houses are as isolated as living in the middle of the countryside, without the advantage of the latter.

Councils like development, especially flats, because it bolsters council revenue - which then just seems to vanish into the black hole of council funding. Ideally services grow/shrink in response to population, but this is an an area where there seems to be a good deal of friction.

Maybe we need more New Towns!

Comment

Originally posted by Protagoras View Post
        I'd make developers of large housing developments collectively required to construct 'social good' infrastructure, or leave space for it with bonded funding for its future construction.
        This has been happening for decades around my way, I'd be quite surprised if most other planning authorities don't also insist on it as a condition of planning consent.

Comment

Originally posted by Snooky View Post
          This has been happening for decades around my way, I'd be quite surprised if most other planning authorities don't also insist on it as a condition of planning consent.
          https://www.nhg.org.uk/building-home...al%20community.

section 106 since 1990

Comment

What they are suppose to do and actually do are two different things.
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

they just hate coloured people
              Jesus. Come on into the 21st century granddad, it's not as scary as you think

Comment

Jesus. Come on into the 21st century granddad, it's not as scary as you think
                What on earth are you on about?
                Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                Originally posted by vetran
                Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

What on earth are you on about?
                  that was rather what we were wondering about the BS you were peddling.

https://worldpopulationreview.com/co...cist-countries

Comment

The racists don't want to reduce immigration for housing concerns, they just hate coloured people and are looking for reasons to justify it.

We can fit loads more people in cities if we build up. That was how you won big in SimCity 2000 after all...
                    Sadly in this day and age if you bring up reducing immigration for housing concerns you are immediatly labelled a racist. Lose lose situation. Best not discuss the topic at all until it's too late if it isn't already.
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

Sadly in this day and age if you bring up reducing immigration for housing concerns you are immediatly labelled a racist. Lose lose situation. Best not discuss the topic at all until it's too late if it isn't already.
                      We need more young people to immigrate to the UK but then when they get between 40-50 we want them to immigrate somewhere else/go back to their home country. Yes we do need to house them but if they aren't going to be here permanently then they are the people who will more likely live in house/flat shares rather than live in a 3-4 bed house on their own.

Like many developed countries we have a demographic problem where we don't have enough young working age people but have lots of older people who require lots of health and social care resource, and are more likely to live on their own in housing that is unsuitable for their needs.
                      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                      X