• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

4 weeks notice

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cojak View Post
    Already done.

Still shows unbanned. However, she did not appear to be a sockie, seemed like a genuine poster. But of course IP logs might have shown something different.
    Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

Originally posted by Lucy53 View Post
      Hello everyone, I am new here but was told there is lots of good advice and I am in a right pickle.

I joined a project a few months ago, and quickly became 'best mates' with the head of the project - a contractor himself who had also just joined. I then started to realise he really enjoyed causing trouble, and managed to engineer firing of a couple of contractors, for which he was really proud of himself - openly (to me anyway). It was almost a kind of sport. The more he got his feet under the table, the louder and more obnoxious he became - and always had a battle on the go with someone. To be honest, it didn't phase me until he started turning on me - embarrassing me at meetings, and telling me my views were wrong, talking over me, hijacking meetings I was running etc etc. I jokingly stood my ground as much as i could as I got on ok with everyone else. Then, over time my relationships with the client co staff went weird, i couldnt put my finger on it but they were different. This guy also turned on me big style - it was obvious he was coming for me next. I kept my head down and to be honest worked remote to keep away from him to try not to show any vulnerability.

Then suddenly out the blue I got a glee filled call from him (from a car park) telling me client co are terminating my contract because of something I'd said a month ago (I couldn't ever recall it) They had all got together and decided i do not fit in with the team.
      In contracting we learn something on every contract, from this contract you will learn that how some one treats others, is how they will treat you. As soon as he started in on the other contractors you had two choices, step back and don't support the PM when he is unfair or look for a new role. Going along with a crazy PM never ends well. PM like this are very insecure, they like to have a few issues, mainly to blame others if things don't go well.

HTH
      Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
        Still shows unbanned. However, she did not appear to be a sockie, seemed like a genuine poster. But of course IP logs might have shown something different.
        IP logs mean FA. I have been on a large site that Contractor UK have banned a user. None of the other users on site could then login.
        "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
          IP logs mean FA. I have been on a large site that Contractor UK have banned a user. None of the other users on site could then login.
          Banning a user and blocking an IP address are quite different activities.
          Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Sorry to hijack the thread but to save starting a new one...

Got told the other day the client would like to end my contract early, not a lot of work left, this was about 4pm. As it was the afternoon does my 28 day notice period start from the day after it was served or the same day? Contract just says 28 days, nothing else.

Thanks.
            Last edited by mikedarv; 11 May 2018, 08:40.

Comment

Originally posted by mikedarv View Post

Got told the other day the client would like to end my contract early, not a lot of work left, this was about 4pm. As it was the afternoon does my 28 notice period start from the day after it was served or the same day?

Thanks.
              The day it was served, usually. At the end of the day, it doesn't make much of a difference, if YourCo.'s contract contains a payment clause, which has a dependency on a signed timesheet? No work can (and often does) mean that there is nothing to sign off, so even though YourCo. might be "in contract", there is no chargeable effort (zero to invoice).

My advice to you would be to sit down with the contracting party and clarify when they expect YourCo.'s contract to end, and whether timesheets will be signed off until such time? The notice should also be served by the contracting party, not the end client (unless YourCo. is direct - no agency involved).
              I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

Got told the other day the client would like to end my contract early, not a lot of work left, this was about 4pm. As it was the afternoon does my 28 day notice period start from the day after it was served or the same day? Contract just says 28 days, nothing else.

Thanks.
                bit vague that...
                told by whom?
                Has the agency (or whoever you have the contract with) provided a notice of termination of the contract in writing? At the moment it's noise by your description.

You should sit down with the client and see what they want. At the end of the day they can serve you 28 days notice but refuse to let you work so you won;t get paid. Most companies are nice enough to pay you for doing nowt so ask 'em. Make sure that the client instructs the agency correctly though and remember that you don't know what their contract says and it is likely different to yours.
                See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
                  bit vague that...
                  told by whom?
                  Has the agency (or whoever you have the contract with) provided a notice of termination of the contract in writing? At the moment it's noise by your description.

You should sit down with the client and see what they want. At the end of the day they can serve you 28 days notice but refuse to let you work so you won;t get paid. Most companies are nice enough to pay you for doing nowt so ask 'em. Make sure that the client instructs the agency correctly though and remember that you don't know what their contract says and it is likely different to yours.
                  Sorry, not quite on point with the correct contractor terminology, when I say client I mean end client, i.e. the bank. The project is coming to a close so they'd like me to finish early to save a bit of money rather than see the last few weeks out.

My agency has just said as it was served at 4pm the 28 days should start from the following day it was served. But as you say the clients contract may say differently.

Comment

Sorry, not quite on point with the correct contractor terminology, when I say client I mean end client, i.e. the bank. The project is coming to a close so they'd like me to finish early to save a bit of money rather than see the last few weeks out.

My agency has just said as it was served at 4pm the 28 days should start from the following day it was served. But as you say the clients contract may say differently.
                    That sounds like they're going to pay for 28 days though. So happy days. Busy yourself with handover documentation so you have something you can demonstrate you've delivered.
                    See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
                      That sounds like they're going to pay for 28 days though. So happy days. Busy yourself with handover documentation so you have something you can demonstrate you've delivered.
                      Not forgetting to loot the stationary cupboards

Comment

Working...
                      X