• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Feckin' "Middle of two lanes" queue policers

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    I'm afraid you are showing woeful ignorance. You are quite wrong. I pretty sure we discussed this recently. It's pretty much proven that in most cases, late merge is optimal.

Late merge results in shorter queues helping prevent spillover to earlier junctions (which, as ani fule kno causes utter chaos), it evens out average speed between the two lanes which increases safety so you have fewer in-queue collisions (which also screws everything up).

Many governments actively encourage late merge for these reasons. Some have made it a road offence to not do it.

In other news:
    • Not wearing a seatbelt isn't safe than wearing one
    • You don't drive better when drunk
    • The earth is not flat
    That only works when the traffic is not able to speed up once the lane restriction is lifted.

Think about it.

If we merge early we can all still do 40/50 then once past the lane restriction we can all go back to 70

or

in order to merge in turn we will need to drop all our speeds to less than 10 mph to merge then we can all go back up to 70.

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
      Only when there's a danger of a tailback obstructing an earlier turn off or junction

And generally the merits of zippering depend on whether the traffic is backing up.

If it hardly is then all this wretched cheating zippering nonsense does is cause a bottleneck and needlessly slow everyone down
      Originally posted by original PM View Post
      That only works when the traffic is not able to speed up once the lane restriction is lifted.

Think about it.

If we merge early we can all still do 40/50 then once past the lane restriction we can all go back to 70

or

in order to merge in turn we will need to drop all our speeds to less than 10 mph to merge then we can all go back up to 70.
      You guys are so funny, thinking that your own theories carry any weight whatsoever. I'll tell you what, do the observations and mathematical modelling, get your results published in a reputable peer-reviewed journal, and I'll give some credence to your deranged babblings. Until then, I'll stick with the science.
      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
        Does my chunk in....

800 yds to the roadworks when it goes down from 2 lanes to 1 and theres a Tesco lorry straddling both lanes trying to be the "queue cheat police" and stopping people using the inside lane.

Makes no sense at all. Surely the best idea is to use both lanes and "zipper" in at the bottom. Drivers in the uk are just thick.

Stupidly, there was a "hows my driving" thing on the back of the tesco lorry. Surely a bit dull to be playing silly buggers when people can call up to moan about you're driving (which I did).
        I love 'em and will always protect their space when they go back into the correct lane.

It's amazing that the queue goes down more quickly when knobbers are stopped from queue jumping.

'Herring boning' is reserved for filtering into the same lane at junctions and roadworks, not for knobbers to abuse.

PS - I have a road in Derby that goes from two lanes to one lane for road management reason that are routinely ignored by nobbers.

Proper filtering/road management during roadworks doesn't count.
        "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
        - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
          I love 'em and will always protect their space when they go back into the correct lane.

It's amazing that the queue goes down more quickly when knobbers are stopped from queue jumping.

'Herring boning' is reserved for filtering into the same lane at junctions, not for knobbers to abuse.

PS - I have a road in Derby that goes from two lanes to one lane for road management reason that are routinely ignored by nobbers.

Proper filtering/road management during roadworks doesn't count.
          WSS

At last someone with a bit of common sense, and doubtless plenty of driving experience!
          Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

WSS

At last someone with a bit of common sense, and doubtless plenty of driving experience!
            See, Cojak - proof that you must be wrong.

If I'm in the lane being filtered into, I always leave enough room in front for the mergers to get in. It's amazing how being chilled and courteous to other road users reduces stress.

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
              See, Cojak - proof that you must be wrong.

If I'm in the lane being filtered into, I always leave enough room in front for the mergers to get in. It's amazing how being chilled and courteous to other road users reduces stress.
              But it's never only one - if you let them they would have your lane at a standstill to let them waltz through. I give them 3/4 of the space provided and them let them move forward to obtain the other 1/4 - this prevents the knobber queue-jumper behind them from sliding into the extra space.
              "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
              - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
                But it's never only one - if you let them they would have your lane at a standstill to let them waltz through. I give them 3/4 of the space provided and them let them move forward to obtain the other 1/4 - this prevents the knobber queue-jumper behind them from sliding into the extra space.
                There is no queue-jumping. That's all in the mind. It's just late merging, which is proven to benefit the majority - despite how it feels. Common sense isn't always right. Reality is often counter-intuitive. I mean, it's common sense that the sun goes around the Earth and that time doesn't slow down when you're travelling faster. Or look up the Monty Hall problem.

But anyone, it's easy. You're right at the merge point, so if you don't let them in they either wait or crash into the cones/concrete. Everyone is happy.

Comment

WSS

She's still finding it hard to get used to driving without the guy waking the red flag in front of her.
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
                    Does my chunk in....

800 yds to the roadworks when it goes down from 2 lanes to 1 and theres a Tesco lorry straddling both lanes trying to be the "queue cheat police" and stopping people using the inside lane.

Makes no sense at all. Surely the best idea is to use both lanes and "zipper" in at the bottom. Drivers in the uk are just thick.

Stupidly, there was a "hows my driving" thing on the back of the tesco lorry. Surely a bit dull to be playing silly buggers when people can call up to moan about you're driving (which I did).
                    Don't they realise you've got a call out for a malfunctioning keyboard!

Comment

Hmmm. Lot of hackles raised over this issue. I guess the amount of traffic and proximity to a junction must also be factors. Needs a maths model. I used to be good at those once.
                      bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                      John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Working...
                      X