• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

HMRC: No more credit card payments

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HMRC: No more credit card payments

HMRC are no longer going to be accepting credit cards as a means of payment for your tax bills. This is from either today or tomorrow. This is because HMRC can no longer charge a fee for using credit cards.

Lots of people up in arms on Twitte about this.

I guess I’m in the minority but why do people who pay tax by self assessment expect special treatment? Why should everyone else pay for their financial mismanagement?

The employed on PAYE have their tax deducted when they are paid and have no choice over this. The self employed and other people who declare income by self assessment already benefit from generous credit terms requiring them to only pay their tax on a bi-annual basis.

Why aren’t these people putting their tax aside as they earn it? It’s not your money to spend in the first place. If money is tight, then surely it’s better to use your credit card (if you really have to get yourself into debt) on other things instead of dipping into your tax money?

Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
    HMRC are no longer going to be accepting credit cards as a means of payment for your tax bills. This is from either today or tomorrow. This is because HMRC can no longer charge a fee for using credit cards.

Lots of people up in arms on Twitte about this.

I guess I’m in the minority but why do people who pay tax by self assessment expect special treatment? Why should everyone else pay for their financial mismanagement?

The employed on PAYE have their tax deducted when they are paid and have no choice over this. The self employed and other people who declare income by self assessment already benefit from generous credit terms requiring them to only pay their tax on a bi-annual basis.

Why aren’t these people putting their tax aside as they earn it? It’s not your money to spend in the first place. If money is tight, then surely it’s better to use your credit card (if you really have to get yourself into debt) on other things instead of dipping into your tax money?
    Can't argue with any of that............

Damn.........I'm losing my touch!!..........
    “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Maybe it's adept financial management; I was looking forward to the 1% cashback by CC payment thanks to these new laws. HMRCs backwardness doesn't surprise me.

Comment

some of us are PAYE and pay tax on our investments why shouldn't we enjoy the payment holiday?
        Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
          some of us are PAYE and pay tax on our investments why shouldn't we enjoy the payment holiday?
          Why should you?

Comment

Originally posted by TheGreenBastard View Post
            Maybe it's adept financial management; I was looking forward to the 1% cashback by CC payment thanks to these new laws. HMRCs backwardness doesn't surprise me.
            Why not invest the tax as you earn it in a flexible ISA, that must surely give a better return?

This was announced back in October by the way.

Comment

I'm not very happy about it either. Using special hotel and airline cards it was a nice little bonus with such a low charge.

The theory of why people can't is all well and good but the reality is they don't. If it gets someone paying that couldn't otherwise it's a good thing. It might not be any use for you but that doesn't mean it's not fair or they shouldn't have it.
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
                Why not invest the tax as you earn it in a flexible ISA, that must surely give a better return?

This was announced back in October by the way.
                A bit presumptive. ISAs maxed out - what's wrong with a nice £50 kick back from HMRC getting its pound of flesh.

Comment

Are DVLA doing the same?

Comment

Credit?

My good man, if one isn't peeling notes from the roll about one's person, one is doing something wrong.

Comment

Working...
                    X