• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply from MP about IR35 Reforms

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    There I disagree. I believe it is HMRC who do not understand contractors and think we are glorified typists.

They seem to be able to dictate what MPs do. Though it should be the other way round.
    How many MPs ran their own businesses? How many did proper jobs, particularly were they ended up in management positions? So they are left relying on their researchers and civil servants for information about the real world.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Good luck chaps and chapesses. Thank **** I have retired. This is just going to become one cluster**** of a situation.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
        Heard of Enron? Heard of Lehman Brothers?
        One of the things that crashed Enron was a dodgy accounting technique. They capitalised contractor invoices (which is illegal in almost all jurisdictions).

Andersen Consulting (now known as Accenture) were the auditors who signed it off. Guess why you've not heard of Andersen Consulting recently......

I have done work for clients, where the deliverable is an item that can be capitalised. To do this you invoice for a 'server built to the specifications outlined in document <xxxx>', with no time or labour on the invoice. This is also a good way to keep outside IR35.
        See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
          If you or another close member of your family gets cancer (or some other chronic illness) then you will understand why IR35 is a problem.

I know contractors and employees who have had to take a year of work because of illnesses like this. Those who are employees who work for decent companies are given lots of time off and can use the private healthcare provision provided by the employer to get treated quickly. If you are a contractor you have to rely on your savings so you better make sure you have some.
          Which is kind of where I was 4 years ago when I was diagnosed with stage 3. Luckily I had a good friend who helped me out with some "bench work" whilst recuperating from my operation.

If I hadn't had this, I would have gone under.

Comment

I stopped at this point...

two individuals are doing the same job in the same way, they pay broadly the same tax;
            If that's how they see us and can't see the risk and all the other aspects that make us different you aren't going to convince them otherwise so it's game over at that point.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              I stopped at this point...

If that's how they see us and can't see the risk and all the other aspects that make us different you aren't going to convince them otherwise so it's game over at that point.
              I had a similar reply a while back that last time we all contacted our MPs. Really don’t understand or care.

I now see it as a lifestyle choice rather than making loads of money.

Comment

I for one think broadening it to all private companies so that the market deals with it, is much better than HMRC dealing with them case by case basis. There is no way HMRC can have enough staff to check for compliance.

If it is clear from day one that the role is within IR35(or outside), it takes away burden from me to prove it at a later date. I like simple and clear rules, that does not punish me retroactively.

Current rule is unfair for contractors working in public sector.

Comment

Originally posted by fatboyslim View Post
                  I for one think broadening it to all private companies so that the market deals with it, is much better than HMRC dealing with them case by case basis. There is no way HMRC can have enough staff to check for compliance.

If it is clear from day one that the role is within IR35(or outside), it takes away burden from me to prove it at a later date. I like simple and clear rules, that does not punish me retroactively.

Current rule is unfair for contractors working in public sector.
                  "If it is clear..."...?

It's not been clear for 20 years. Before you rewrite the UKs legal system perhaps learn the lsubject properly.
                  Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
                    "If it is clear..."...?

It's not been clear for 20 years. Before you rewrite the UKs legal system perhaps learn the lsubject properly.
                    well if it not clear we should support any legislation that tries to...
                    I am not the one writing it, so we are all safe..

Comment

Originally posted by fatboyslim View Post
                      well if it not clear we should support any legislation that tries to...
                      I am not the one writing it, so we are all safe..
                      You really haven't been keeping up have you...

Nobody is rewriting anything. The decision is on status is being moved to people who are not competent to judge it. The tool that pretends to make the decision is not fit for purpose. Therefore any such decision can be challenged. So let's look forward to years of unnecessary uncertainty.

And some of us have been fighting this bollocks since it started. HTH...
                      Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Working...
                      X