• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What Not To Do As A Landlord

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It doesn't exonerate him or anything but in the linked article it does mention who else he's barred

The landlord is said to have barred domestic violence victims from renting his homes, as he reportedly claimed that jealous or angry partners would cause damage by kicking down front doors and punching holes in the interior.

He is also said to have blocked plumbers, single parents, workers on low income or zero-hours contracts, families with children, pet owners, smokers and single adults.
    Although he's in the wrong for saying what he said he's not picked on 'coloureds' just becasue he's a racist. It's one of many other sweeping assumptions. Any landlord who's had problems in the past would also like to not let to certain types just for an easier life. That said, he's still gone about it in the wrong way and made it a racist issue.

I wonder how they've got hold of the communication to his letting agent and how the investigation all kicked off.

Thing is letting agents can be as bad as our agents with their devious ways to help themselves. After the Chinese tenants I suggested to the agent at the time I'd rather something like that didn't happen again but I know I can't state anything and he just said 'leave it with me, there are ways and means'.

Another one was very frank an told me they don't like dealing with most of the groups mentioned as well as its a pain for them. They will tell them it's let or some excuse. Only used them once though. This and some other reasons made them look too dodgy to be with.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I live in posh flats near canary wharf, I have 2 choices to enter and exit my flat, the quick way takes me down curry corridor as my Partner calls it, so from the lift to 1st fire door you literary have to hold your breath for 20 seconds it's so so strong (curry is my favorite food) but everyone takes the long way round option every time

Comment

Originally posted by GJABS View Post
        So the law allows you to be racist towards your own race, but not other races. That doesn't seem ethical to me.
        The law doesn't allow it but it is the hardest to prove.

As a business you cannot be seen to discriminate against any one due to protected characteristics covered by the Equality Act.

You've been called thick because you seem unable to grasp that being a landlord is a business and that you have to abide by the law including the Equality Act.
        Last edited by SueEllen; 9 November 2017, 07:45.
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          It doesn't exonerate him or anything but in the linked article it does mention who else he's barred

Although he's in the wrong for saying what he said he's not picked on 'coloureds' just becasue he's a racist. It's one of many other sweeping assumptions. Any landlord who's had problems in the past would also like to not let to certain types just for an easier life. That said, he's still gone about it in the wrong way and made it a racist issue.

I wonder how they've got hold of the communication to his letting agent and how the investigation all kicked off.

Thing is letting agents can be as bad as our agents with their devious ways to help themselves. After the Chinese tenants I suggested to the agent at the time I'd rather something like that didn't happen again but I know I can't state anything and he just said 'leave it with me, there are ways and means'.
          He's not a liked figure so likely someone in the office circulated the email and eventually someone forwarded it to the Equalities Commission.

The difference between you and him is you didn't openly state don't let my property to a certain nationality and document it, there as he did.
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

So the law allows you to be racist towards your own race, but not other races. That doesn't seem ethical to me.
            That's because...
            Originally posted by sasguru View Post
            ...you’re a thick twat.
            Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
              He's not a liked figure so likely someone in the office circulated the email and eventually someone forwarded it to the Equalities Commission.

The difference between you and him is you didn't openly state don't let my property to a certain nationality and document it, there as he did.
              Correct.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                The law doesn't allow it but it is the hardest to prove.

As a business you cannot be seen to discriminate against any one due to protected characteristics covered by the Equality Act.

You've been called thick because you seem unable to grasp that being a landlord is a business and that you have to abide by the law including the Equality Act.
                I suspect the reality is the whites are not discriminated against as much because they tend to do fewer things like stinking the house out with curry.

Comment

And the outcome of the case was...

Landlord Fergus Wilson ordered not to discriminate on race | Daily Mail Online

He seems to have gotten of lightly. It's not wonder he represented himself. I don't think anyone would have been willing to represent his argument reading what he actually said!

Mr Wilson added the email was leaked by a disgruntled employee who had been sacked for an unrelated matter.
                  Ahh.. As Sue alluded to. Makes sense.

Sort the comments by 'Best rated' is interesting.

Comment

I suspect the reality is the whites are not discriminated against as much because they tend to do fewer things like stinking the house out with curry.
                    See you in a few days.
                    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                    Originally posted by vetran
                    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

I think you mean:

I suspect the reality is the whites are not discriminated against as much because they are less objectionable people than non-white people

Comment

Working...
                      X