• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

HMRC's time machine setting sights on all graduates!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lance View Post
    house prices and job market are nothing to do with legislation, they're a market. Not unless some idiots try to fix markets.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
      Window tax. Ship tax.
      I'm not that fecking old you cheeky mare.

Comment

Originally posted by tiggat View Post
        good argument you've got there. Any substance to it?

or is a Youtube video showing a stereotype, a half-arsed suggestion about legislation and a laugh at any light scrutiny all you got?
        Last edited by Lance; 19 September 2017, 11:18.
        See You Next Tuesday

Comment

"house prices have nothing to do with government legislation"

Last edited by tiggat; 19 September 2017, 11:42.

Comment

or is a Youtube video showing a stereotype, a half-arsed suggestion about legislation and a laugh at any light scrutiny all you got?
            "changes to tuition fees have had nothing to do with the creation of high or medium skilled jobs"

Comment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_2u92HwyII

I bet you're the type of person who refers to under 30s as "snowflakes"
              NF might not be, but I am.

Fecking never ending whining whinging Korbyn voting snowflakes.
              Last edited by zeitghost; 19 September 2017, 13:12.

Comment

The issue is that in the 80s only 5% were good enough to get to university.
                Now it's closer to 50%. Personally I think that was a pointless endeavour by New Labour and has devalued vocational (real) work, and increased the number of ridiculous degrees (and I don't have a problem with the pure academic stuff as long as it's difficult and very few people do it).
                Increased student numbers (and student loans) started in 1990. That was under the Tories.
                Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

"house prices have nothing to do with government legislation"
                  I'm still not sure what your argument is but I'll defend my position regardless.
                  Nice image showing a correlation around the right to buy (which was an excellent way for poor people to escape the poverty trap, and became Labour policy in 1987). The graph seems to show that the legislation failed to prevent the decline in local authority building.

Second graph. WTF? What is a 'long running average of UK house price to earnings ratio'? It's a chart with no meaning. Other than it says that houses are harder to buy now than during the mid-90s recession (duh). It might also say that thjey are easier to buy now than in 2007 (which clearly shows that the chart is not helpful).

Next. Houses cost more than they did in 1960. Heaven forfend. Have you got a graph in real term costs (you know with inflation factored in), that supports your argument?

So what is your argument?
                  I'll summarise it so far..
                  1) "I bet you're the type of person who refers to under 30s as "snowflakes""
                  2) a tulipty Momentum video about middle-class stereotypes, shared on Youtube by a guy called Benedict Pringle
                  3) A graph showing a correlation with no argument to explain it's relevance, and 2 meaningless graphs.

At least you're trying.

And now the last graph. What's that trying to say? That our job market is changing?
                  Nothing to do with tuition fees I'm afraid. Try a global market, IT modernisation, de-industrialisation of the west (by market forces) and the rise of the developing economies. That's why our job market is changing.
                  See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                    Increased student numbers (and student loans) started in 1990. That was under the Tories.
                    yes. But it was Tony Blair who set 50% as an aspiration.
                    See You Next Tuesday

Comment

I'm still not sure what your argument is but I'll defend my position regardless.
                      Nice image showing a correlation around the right to buy (which was an excellent way for poor people to escape the poverty trap, and became Labour policy in 1987). The graph seems to show that the legislation failed to prevent the decline in local authority building.

Second graph. WTF? What is a 'long running average of UK house price to earnings ratio'? It's a chart with no meaning. Other than it says that houses are harder to buy now than during the mid-90s recession (duh). It might also say that thjey are easier to buy now than in 2007 (which clearly shows that the chart is not helpful).
                      Are you honestly saying that a decline by half in the supply of housing, and a subsequent increase in house prices, and house price: income ratio is "correlation and not causation," and are unrelated???

Comment

Working...
                      X