• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Staff shortages pushing up wages...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
    You will find that most of the income from any company actually goes to the employees. The "profit" actually gets ploughed back into the business to ensure it grows. The computer that you work in the office is actually bought out of the "profit". People wrongly think that profit sits in rich people's bank accounts. The only money you can distribute would be the dividends or the CEO' salary. If you were to distribute the dividends you would find it would make hardly any difference to the wages and it would trash the value of the shares of the company so making it unable to raise capital on the stock market. As for the CEO's salary it would also make no difference if he took a 10% pay cut and you distributed it to thousands of people.

There is a direct correlation between profitability and wages. The more profitable a company is the higher the wages are, eg banks and oil companies pay generous salaries, supermarkets pay paltry wages.

In the end a worker producing a BMW will put in the same hours as a worker producing a Vauxhall Corsa, but earn more, because the customer pays more for what he's produced, i.e. "productivity".
    I think that's what the Mauve Monkey was referring to.
    It's true CEOs pay themselves far too much but anyone who thinks this will get better, rather than worse, post Brexit is a bona-fide deluded cretin.
    The Tory Brexiter Right have always hated the EU because of the workers rights it insists on - cleverly they've manipulated the useful idiots who make up the great unwashed to vote against their own interests - they intend a bonfire of workers rights and the abolition of the minimum wage.
    The excuse will be that it is needed to compete post-Brext. It's going to be funny to see the howl of rage that will emanate when that happens but by then it will be too late
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

Comment

You will find that most of the income from any company actually goes to the employees. The "profit" actually gets ploughed back into the business to ensure it grows. The computer that you work in the office is actually bought out of the "profit". People wrongly think that profit sits in rich people's bank accounts. The only money you can distribute would be the dividends or the CEO' salary. If you were to distribute the dividends you would find it would make hardly any difference to the wages and it would trash the value of the shares of the company so making it unable to raise capital on the stock market. As for the CEO's salary it would also make no difference if he took a 10% pay cut and you distributed it to thousands of people.

There is a direct correlation between profitability and wages. The more profitable a company is the higher the wages are, eg banks and oil companies pay generous salaries, supermarkets pay paltry wages.

In the end a worker producing a BMW will put in the same hours as a worker producing a Vauxhall Corsa, but earn more, because the customer pays more for what he's produced, i.e. "productivity".

Any redistribution has to be done through the tax system.
      I'm a big fan of cooperatives - like john Lewis.
      http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

In long term, this is not so simple. I saw this "movie" before.

Comment

Any redistribution has to be done through the tax system.
          https://www.theguardian.com/money/20...-cat-wednesday

The High Pay Centre calculated that the average FTSE 100 boss now earns more than £1,000 an hour, meaning they will pass the UK average salary of £28,200 by around midday on Wednesday. The thinktank said that after enjoying rapid earnings growth in recent years, leading bosses now typically earn 129 times more than their employees.
          The hourly pay rate of £1,009 is calculated on the assumption that FTSE bosses work 12 hours a day, including three out of every four weekends, and take fewer than 10 days holiday a year. The “national living wage” is £7.20 an hour for over-25s.

Stern said the big increase in executive pay in recent years appears to have been driven by “performance-related” awards, but highlighted new research published last week that poured cold water on the link between pay and performance, suggesting it had been negligible.
          Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by PurpleGorilla View Post
            You some kind of bloody Communist? Anyway, the good old days of John Lewis seem to on their way out:
            https://www.theguardian.com/business...ts-price-rises

John Lewis staff bonus cut again - BBC News
            Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
              You some kind of bloody Communist? Anyway, the good old days of John Lewis seem to on their way out:
              https://www.theguardian.com/business...ts-price-rises

John Lewis staff bonus cut again - BBC News
              Too much money concentrated in the hands of too few leads to a lack of velocity of money.

Comment

Originally posted by PurpleGorilla View Post
                Me too.

Like for example The Coop.

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
                  Me too.

Like for example The Coop.
                  You mean Co-op Bank? They are a bit fecked....
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Too early for it to be a firm trend but lest we forget the Tier 1 and 2 Visa changes we flagged on this forum in April will be having an effect.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                      Too much money concentrated in the hands of too few leads to a lack of velocity of money.
                      I don't know, those hyper yachts can shift when they need too....
                      First Law of Contracting: Only the strong survive

Comment

Working...
                      X