• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

EU retaliation against the UK escalates

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
    You need to have a chat with the Brexit minister :

https://www.flightglobal.com/news/ar...xit-go-435185/

Could get interesting
    Does this mean we can stop the EU from flying over the UK? I guess it would. Tit for tat as they say. All those EU airlines having to fly up through EU controlled airspace before turning to the USA. That would allow our airforce to shadow all those airlines to make sure they don't cross into our airspace. And if they did we could fine the buggers.
    Last edited by Lost It; 2 August 2017, 11:08.

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
      No that can't be true, because if the EU had made a law on it, then the UK are forced to accept that law and increase the numbers of staff, but the UK have reduced the numbers of staff, so either another Leave lie has been exposed (again) or it's not an EU law, but something that a few countries did because they have sovereignty over their laws (i.e. Another Leave lie)

Which is it?
      As its travellers entering the Schengen Area (something the UK is not in thank goodness) then its not a law that applies to us. Obviously if you find that complicated there are maps & everything you can consult.
      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
        As its travellers entering the Schengen Area (something the UK is not in thank goodness) then its not a law that applies to us. Obviously if you find that complicated there are maps & everything you can consult.
        But it's part of the EU, and the leave campaign were very clear about sovereignty of law that when you're in the EU you have to do everything the EU says, there are no exceptions, everyone has to do it.

So either they were lying or this isn't happening.
        …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Here's a report from a source that is more reliable than the Fail:

http://newsthump.com/2017/08/02/tigh...ngry-brexiter/
          …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

But it's part of the EU, and the leave campaign were very clear about sovereignty of law that when you're in the EU you have to do everything the EU says, there are no exceptions, everyone has to do it.

You are James O'Whine & I claim my free 5 LBC podcasts.
            Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by Lost It View Post
              Does this mean we can stop the EU from flying over the UK? I guess it would. Tit for tat as they say. All those EU airlines having to fly up through EU controlled airspace before turning to the USA. That would allow our airforce to shadow all those airlines to make sure they don't cross into our airspace. And if they did we could fine the buggers.
              Preventing UK airlines from landing at EU airports is not the same as blocking their airspace, but if the UK responded by blocking its airspace it would be a mild inconvenience for the EU, as flights could easily be diverted over France, however if the EU blocked its airspace, it would be a major hindrance for UK airlines to being able to fly East.
              I'm alright Jack

Comment

So why is there not the same scale of queues when coming into UK airports?

Maybe we did up the number of security personnel?

But the rest of the EU did not?

But then that is not new news is it?

Comment

Originally posted by rl4engc View Post
                  Yep cos the last boom in Ireland ended very well didn't it.

From the 2017 Credit-Suisse yearbook:
                  I just go where the money is, Dublin is good at moment, uk is getting worse especially for contractors.

Celtic Tiger was a bit of a body blow but all the empty buildings are filling up again, Barclays, JP Morgan and the EMA probs when it moves out of London soon.

Comment

Can't we just be happy that SAS is stuck in Portugal whilst this chaos reigns?

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
                      Preventing UK airlines from landing at EU airports is not the same as blocking their airspace, but if the UK responded by blocking its airspace it would be a mild inconvenience for the EU, as flights could easily be diverted over France, however if the EU blocked its airspace, it would be a major hindrance for UK airlines to being able to fly East.
                      Is UK airspace only UK airspace or do with do stuff with Eire due to NI?

For example say a flight from New York sets off but realises they have an emergency before they land in Berlin in so stops on the Irish landmass. Can they stop in Belfast or does it have to be Dublin?*

*Please note I don't have a globe in front of me so can't work out the exact path.
                      Last edited by SueEllen; 2 August 2017, 12:52.
                      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                      X