• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Milk is inhumane

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I switched to almond milk a while ago and it's not so bad now I'm used to it. For cheese as a compromise I get it from the local butcher where it's farmed humanely from 'happy cows'. Same with eggs from 'happy chickens'

Giving up dairy is very hard as most vegetarian options (Quorn etc.) have dairy ingredients that are almost definitely 'factory produced'. I decided to stop eating meat after seeing this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-EGTfH0s2g

It's a touchy subject for both sides involved, the animal rights activists and lecturing vegans aren't very good at winning hearts and minds - I just care about me TBH, you lot can to WTF you want.
    "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

Originally posted by Jog On View Post
      I switched to almond milk a while ago and it's not so bad now I'm used to it. For cheese as a compromise I get it from the local butcher where it's farmed humanely from 'happy cows'. Same with eggs from 'happy chickens'

Giving up dairy is very hard as most vegetarian options (Quorn etc.) have dairy ingredients that are almost definitely 'factory produced'. I decided to stop eating meat after seeing this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-EGTfH0s2g

It's a touchy subject for both sides involved, the animal rights activists and lecturing vegans aren't very good at winning hearts and minds - I just care about me TBH, you lot can to WTF you want.

WHS. I also gave up on all of it and moved to a sea diet.
      What happens in General, stays in General.
      You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

My issue with the likes of almond milk, coconut milk, etc, is that while they might be more ethically friendly to UK animals, how environmentally friendly are they to produce and ship? It's a bit like palm oil - who cares if orangutans are wiped out as long as your toothpaste goes foamy when you brush.
        …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
          WHS. I also gave up on all of it and moved to a sea diet.
          Whale?

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
            My issue with the likes of almond milk, coconut milk, etc, is that while they might be more ethically friendly to UK animals, how environmentally friendly are they to produce and ship? It's a bit like palm oil - who cares if orangutans are wiped out as long as your toothpaste goes foamy when you brush.
            From what I've read about almond milk:
            • 80% of almonds are produced in California
            • It takes a lot of water to grow almonds (California was until recently having a water crisis)
            • The pesticides used on the crops kill bees

So problems I see here are based around the most developed nation in the world figuring out how to distribute water around their country if one of their states is in crisis - and their agricultural practices using bee killing pesticides.

Almond milk bad for environment? Tom Philpott and Mother Jones are wrong.

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeands...for-the-planet

I will continue enjoy my almond milk

Palm oil is another matter - try looking for products free of that, even in well to do 'organic' health shops...
            "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

Breeding animals for the purpose of eating them and their byproducts is 'just the way it is'. It is the circle of life. If we didn't do it, there wouldn't be fields of cows, pigs, sheep or whatever just roaming freely at no risk of death-by-human (if they did, it would be death-by-somethingelse instead). More likely, they'd just be largely extinct as a species - we'd need the land, and more, to grow the necessary vegetables and fruits and whatever instead. Arguably, the extra land required would be even more of a problem. That might be a moot point, as humans would probably be extinct because the lions and monkeys would have killed us off for being too stupid.

Eating meat is natural. Our guts are designed that way. And we're clever enough to do it intelligently.

Veganism is moronic nonsense, and it goes against our biological construction.
              Taking a break from contracting

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
                Whale?
                Nah Seafood & eat it apparently.
                Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by Jog On View Post
                  ... I decided to stop eating meat after seeing this video...

How odd. I saw that and thought - oh, that's how chicken's are mass farmed somewhere in East Asia. Doesn't seem particularly brutal, just efficient.

I had some minke whale in Iceland a few years ago. Interesting flavour.
                  Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by chopper View Post
                    Breeding animals for the purpose of eating them and their byproducts is 'just the way it is'. It is the circle of life. If we didn't do it, there wouldn't be fields of cows, pigs, sheep or whatever just roaming freely at no risk of death-by-human (if they did, it would be death-by-somethingelse instead). More likely, they'd just be largely extinct as a species - we'd need the land, and more, to grow the necessary vegetables and fruits and whatever instead. Arguably, the extra land required would be even more of a problem. That might be a moot point, as humans would probably be extinct because the lions and monkeys would have killed us off for being too stupid.

Eating meat is natural. Our guts are designed that way. And we're clever enough to do it intelligently.

What vegans and some vegetarians refuse to understand people's genes originate from different parts of the world. You can't undo centuries of eating particular foods such as animal products and expect all people to be healthy.

So expecting the Inuit for example to not eat meat and animal products when a Western type diet high in carbohydrates are causing them health problems is laughable especially as they can't afford the plentiful fruit and veg you get in lots of other climates.
                    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by chopper View Post

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                      How odd. I saw that and thought - oh, that's how chicken's are mass farmed somewhere in East Asia. Doesn't seem particularly brutal, just efficient.

I had some minke whale in Iceland a few years ago. Interesting flavour.
                      This is where personal feelings on how animals are treated differ. I understand that it's been our part in the food chain since forever and that nature is brutal when it comes to packs of hyenas eating baby gazelles alive - but I personally find the level of intelligence and efficiency unacceptable and choose not to partake in it.

It's the disregard and blocking out of the fact that these are sentient beings that feel pain, fear and unthinkable suffering. If you have pets imagine your beloved cat/dog going through that. Do you not feel anything at all?

I have no doubt that soon the whole process will be automated and abattoirs will be like car factories with robots doing all the 'work'. Yay - look how far we've come.

This is an argument that neither side will back down on, so I'm happy to just carry on as I am and you lot can eat WTF you like.
                      Last edited by Jog On; 27 July 2017, 11:58.

Comment

Working...
                      X