• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

So who did BA outsource their IT to?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

But not after Brexit...possibly...

Passengers have some rights under EU law to claim compensation for delayed or cancelled flights for services that departed within the EU or were operated by a European airline.
    Delays of more than three hours for short-haul flights (up to 1,500km or 930 miles) get compensation of €250 (£218); while the figure is €400 for medium-haul trips (1,500km to 3,500km).
    For long-haul flights (more than 3,500km), delays of between three and four hours have compensation set at €300; for delays longer than four hours the figure is €600.
    Airlines are required to give passengers food and drinks for delays of more than two hours, as well as hotel accommodation for overnight delays and transfers.
    Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

based on what i have read the only assumptions i can make are:

1. the system failed and the alternate also failed
      2. the system failed and someone new had to read the manual on how to operate the alternate
      3. someone applied a change friday night and screwed both simultaneously ala RBS. in which case they are restoring from a backup. the length of the outage would indicate they are possibly using a tape restore.

it was mooted elsewhere that the primary could have ran out of storage capacity. i find that hard to believe due to the length and timing of the outage.

i would be surprised by the third reason as it's one of the busiest weekends of the year to fly.

i am writing this looking on in horror from the beach. i flew on one of the last BA flights out of Gatwick on friday evening and am due back tuesday.
      Last edited by Bluenose; 28 May 2017, 14:40.

Comment

Originally posted by Bluenose View Post
        based on what i have read the only assumptions i can make are:

1. the system failed and the alternate also failed
        2. the system failed and someone new had to read the manual on how to operate the alternate
        3. someone applied a change friday night and screwed both simultaneously ala RBS. in which case they are still trying to find a working backup. the length of the outage would indicate they are possibly using a tape restore over 56k modem.
        FTFY

Comment

Power supply issue

Oh dear

I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
            FTFY

A great spot though....

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
              British Airways: Computer problems cause flight delays

British Airways: Computer problems cause flight delays - BBC News
              Call me paranoid, but coming so soon after the Manchester bombing, and with the authorities running about like blue arsed flies trying to round up terrorists, I think there's a small chance BA were secretly told to halt all their flights, to impede the flight of possible suspects known or suspected to be in transit and give the authorities more time to figure out who these were and bag them.
              Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
                Call me paranoid, but coming so soon after the Manchester bombing, and with the authorities running about like blue arsed flies trying to round up terrorists, I think there's a small chance BA were secretly told to halt all their flights, to impede the flight of possible suspects known or suspected to be in transit and give the authorities more time to figure out who these were and bag them.
                You are paranoid.

Comment

But was only BA, the other flights was ok or no?

Comment

£100 mln+ cost floating around as early indication of how much it would cost BA.

How much did they save from that outsaucing?

Comment

Interestingly that was what i was alluding to in earlier posts....

Maybe i need a tin hat too!

Comment

Working...
                      X