• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Trump puts EU ahead of Britain for trade deal

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by m0n1k3r View Post
    Now try going to the US to deliver services there (and clearly state that intent at immigration), and then to the EU. Then tell us about the difference in experience.
    Well I won some bespoke development work with a US company last week which I will deliver remotely. I have no intention of opening a US office or employing any US staff. Sending in my W8-BEN-E is as far as I want to get involved with the US authorities.

From memory I've done 6 or 7 bespoke enhancements for US customers over the last 12 months. Not had any issue so far.

I did travel to the States to do some work with Microsoft in July last year, I clearly explained that to the border guard, he wished me luck and let me in.

... I'm just starting to think about the potential impact to my business to the UK crashing out and ending up on WTO. Fortunately, I don't think there will be any impact. Conversely other than the immediate gain from the depreciation in sterling no benefit either.

Comment

Sure it's been said above, can't be bothered to look through that lot, but the reality is that a deal between the US and the UK may be a lot easier and be in place quicker than one between the US and the EU for the obvious reason that one side does not involve a group of nations with different ideas.

TTIP has been in discussion for years and should have been completed in 2014 but has been postponed due to opposition from some countries. It requires unanimous agreement.
      bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
      John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Obviously a UK-US deal would be easier, but isn't worth very much to the US other than a token gesture for "Brexit". Trump has now "grown up", so their attention will be focused on the EU and the UK will ride on the coat tails of that.
        I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
          Sure it's been said above, can't be bothered to look through that lot, but the reality is that a deal between the US and the UK may be a lot easier and be in place quicker than one between the US and the EU for the obvious reason that one side does not involve a group of nations with different ideas.
          Some would say the UK is a group of nations with different ideas.

Same basic argument either way. What works for London might not work for Scotland, or the North of England. Which is one reason these always take so long to negotiate as there's always many vested interests, as there is in the US too. Neither is going to happen for years yet; in five years time the only trade deal the UK will have is with the EU.
          Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Sure it's been said above, can't be bothered to look through that lot, but the reality is that a deal between the US and the UK may be a lot easier and be in place quicker than one between the US and the EU for the obvious reason that the UK is desperate and we'll sell our children's future for a song
            FTFY
            "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Funny, psychologically, how some people ignore what has actually been said and just put forward their wishful thinking as fact.
              Seems to be a peculiarly Brexit trait to ignore reality.
              Hard Brexit now!
              #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
                Is this a special vindictive punishment imposed on the UK or a condition of EU membership?
                It depends who you ask. The Greeks will say the latter.
                His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
                  Are the Greeks looking to negotiate their own trade deals?

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
                    The Greeks will say lots of things.
                    Thing is they're now paying for their profligate ways: non-payment of taxes by the elite, retirement on full pensions at 50 in the civil service, 13 month salaries widespread in the public sector etc etc.

They can always leave - their bluff was called in 2015, they decided they'd rather stay in the EU and Euro.
                    Hard Brexit now!
                    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Looks like the Tory right wing loonies have been "bog washed" and are beginning to see sense.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...u-s-hogan-says

I reckon once May gets her landslide the loons will fade into obscurity. It looks like they've been out-manoeuvred.

I'm alright Jack

Comment

Working...
                      X