• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Cryptocurrency

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I should keep in mind that when BTC was much lower in price last year I was able to accumulate a hefty numbers of BTC through alt gains. Wasn't expecting it to play out this way but if it does, I'm ready!
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
      You think $5k is on the cards? Jeepers. The market seems quite oversold at the minute.
      not my own TA but there are enough algorithm targets down there to make it possible. the lowest algo target I'm aware of is about 3800. just because a target is there doesn't mean it'll happen.
      there will be a shed load of stops under the Feb low price so they may prevent 5k by short squeezing
      Your friendly neighbourhood VirtualMonkey - Not giving financial advice since...well...ever.

Comment

Originally posted by VirtualMonkey View Post
        the lowest algo target I'm aware of is about 3800
        That level would have huge consequences.
        Most BTC mining (aka block transactions validation) would become unprofitable - even Genesis mining's Canada center would be in the red.

$ Cost To Mine 1BTC:

Last edited by SunnyInHades; 13 June 2018, 18:52.

Comment

Question:
          The cryptocurrency Market Capitalization settled at USD 283B at 6 AM UTC on Wednesday, June 13. In your opinion, will the Market cap rise above 320B at any time before June 24?
          Indicator: 15.13%

Latterly...

Question:
          The cryptocurrency Market Capitalization settled at USD 283B at 6 AM UTC on Wednesday, June 13. In your opinion, will the Market fall below 250B at any time before June 24?
          Indicator: 16.54%

10 more days of sliding squares and no picture
          Last edited by scooterscot; 13 June 2018, 20:38.
          "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Hobosapien View Post
            Bank rejected my last card attempt via Coinbase and to do bank transfers the account name has to match which mine doesn't (Coinbase put my middle name in the account name, my bank account doesn't).

Uphold transfer still 'processing', 6 hours and counting.

Silver lining is that BTC is still dropping so if that continues my transfer from GBP to BTC within Uphold will buy a bit more. If it transfers into Uphold successfully.
            You should try revolut. It's free and you get a UK sort code and account number to transfer GBP into. You can then easily convert to euro and sepa transfer. You also get a debit card, which you normally pay a few £ for, but I got for free on an offer.

You can also buy crypto, but you can't transfer crypto in or out and don't have control of your private keys Which is fine for smaller amounts and if you're just dipping you toe in the water. Buy some BTC, hold and convert back to GBP when you want to. I think they support a few others, definitely ETH.

Comment

Originally posted by FrontEnder View Post
              You should try revolut. It's free and you get a UK sort code and account number to transfer GBP into. You can then easily convert to euro and sepa transfer. You also get a debit card, which you normally pay a few £ for, but I got for free on an offer.

You can also buy crypto, but you can't transfer crypto in or out and don't have control of your private keys Which is fine for smaller amounts and if you're just dipping you toe in the water. Buy some BTC, hold and convert back to GBP when you want to. I think they support a few others, definitely ETH.
              +1 for Revolut, easiest way I've found to buy BTC\ETH on Coinbase. As above load with sterling then convert to EUR then sepa transfer to Coinbase EUR wallet. I then transfer to GDAX wallet for free (Coinbase trading platform) to buy either BTC\ETH, fees are lower this way. Then free (I think) transfer to Binance to buy alt coin.

To buy crypto directly with Revolut is a premium feature @ £6.99/month and I don't think you actually hold the crypto.

Comment

Originally posted by FrontEnder View Post

+2 for Revolut, brilliant app.

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
                  It does not matter what $ value BTC goes down to. I know at the end of this year it'll reach new dizzy heights. The game everyone should be playing right now is coin accumulation.
                  I agree, timing the bottom is the key. I've set a limit buy at £5800 so we'll see. I'm pretty much all in fiat for the time being.

Comment

Uphold card transfer of GBP still 'processing', 22 hours and counting. It shows up as pending on my online banking. No idea what is holding it up unless there's a 'sleep 24 hours' in the process to deter fraud. Will check when the 24 hours expires at lunchtime to see what has gone on or if it's stuck 'forever'.

I do have a Revolut account, used it for GBP->Euro while on holiday earlier in the year (got the contactless debit card as a backup), better direct exchange rate apparently. Do intend trying out the SEPA transfer route from bank -> Revolut -> Crypto exchange, but as I'm only dripping a few hundred quid at a time into crypto (pound cost averaging as bitcoin continues to go down) I wanted speed rather than absolute cheapest route.

Revolut crypto is apparently using Coinbase from what I've read (chagring 1.5% commission on each purchase/sale), so Revolut have a wallet but don't currently let you transfer to your own. Anyone heard if that is proposed for the future? Would be handy to have another route.

The idea of gaining more bitcoin by trading between it and alts when alts are pumped/dumped and bitcoin is at a current 'low' is interesting. I just see it as very risky when the pump/dump appears to be so short you have to get in and out within 24 hours or so. I look at coinmarketcap prices in BTC to see current alt movements against bitcoin, not tried monitoring it on a proper exchange where the actual transactions can be made.
                    Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

In other news, I BTFD with my entire SIPP*.

(Was only about £1500).

Comment

Working...
                      X