• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Cryptocurrency

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New builds soon cannot use natural gas or oil for heating or hot water, so that means an electric boiler.

Instead, a mining rig would be water cooled, leading to hot water.

First person to design an electric boiler that can mine crypto will become an eco-trillionaire.
    First Law of Contracting: Only the strong survive

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
      Heating your home with electricity is also far nicer for the environment so you'd be doing the world a good deed.
      I just did a quick calc using the calculator on this site:

https://www.buybitcoinworldwide.com/mining/hardware

Rig (ASIC): Whatsminer m30s+
      Price: $2,500.
      Electricity consumption: 3.4kWh
      Hash power (TH/s): 100
      BTC price: $33k
      Electricity cost per kWh: $0.30 (approx 20p)

Running 24x7, this generates $8,800/year in BTC. But it consumes $8,800/year in electricity. In other words, there's no profit and it just breaks even. However, that means you're getting 3.4kWh of free electric heating.

The other thing I'd need to check is how noisy (dB) the fans are in them. It would be a non-starter if they sound like a jet engine.
      Scoots still says that Apr 2020 didn't mark the start of a new stock bull market.

Comment

Free, heavily concentrated heat, in your house - you have to sleep next to a machine whose coolers are designed to deal with a couple of kwatt worth of energy - like a major data center server.

Comment

Originally posted by DealorNoDeal View Post

I just did a quick calc using the calculator on this site:

https://www.buybitcoinworldwide.com/mining/hardware

Rig (ASIC): Whatsminer m30s+
          Price: $2,500.
          Electricity consumption: 3.4kWh
          Hash power (TH/s): 100
          BTC price: $33k
          Electricity cost per kWh: $0.30 (approx 20p)

Running 24x7, this generates $8,800/year in BTC. But it consumes $8,800/year in electricity. In other words, there's no profit and it just breaks even. However, that means you're getting 3.4kWh of free electric heating.

The other thing I'd need to check is how noisy (dB) the fans are in them. It would be a non-starter if they sound like a jet engine.
          If you hold the BTC you mine it will be worth more than $33k over time so could be profitable in the long run
          "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

Originally posted by Jog On View Post
            If you hold the BTC you mine it will be worth more than $33k over time so could be profitable in the long run
            In a million years?

If you are so sure that’s the case why not just buy it on the “exchange”?

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
              Free, heavily concentrated heat, in your house
              I doubt it puts out more heat than a standard radiator. Go read up on your physics about convection and so on.
              You might need one in every room which would be an interesting look.
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

I doubt it puts out more heat than a standard radiator. Go read up on your physics about convection and so on.
                You might need one in every room which would be an interesting look.
                It wasn’t me who was suggesting this idiotic idea

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post

It wasn’t me who was suggesting this idiotic idea
                  It's you suggested a localised heat source was a problem, when that's how UK houses have been heated for about a century.

One could probably install them in floors/ceilings anyway, they even have fans to provide vented heating

Comment

It's you suggested a localised heat source was a problem, when that's how UK houses have been heated for about a century.

One could probably install them in floors/ceilings anyway, they even have fans to provide vented heating
                    Before I block you forever, I'd like just to say that are the biggest doodard on here, and that says a lot given how huge competition is for the COTY title.

ta ta tard

Comment

If only this were true, it would make my day.

Comment

Working...
                      X