• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Cryptocurrency

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    I doubt it puts out more heat than a standard radiator. Go read up on your physics about convection and so on.
    You might need one in every room which would be an interesting look.
    You're kidding right?

3.4kW is nearly 12,000 btu, which would be a whopping radiator. And there is another difference. The mining rig would be pumping this out constantly 24x7.

Obviously, it would be a single heat source, making it difficult to heat an entire house. However, some people, in smaller homes, manage with just a log burner and a big enough rig could definitely replace one of those.
    Scoots still says that Apr 2020 didn't mark the start of a new stock bull market.

Comment

Originally posted by DealorNoDeal View Post
      The mining rig would be pumping this out constantly 24x7.
      So that's waste 2/3 of the time then, especially in hot summer.

You are trying to put lipstick on a pig instead of using an apple.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post

So that's waste 2/3 of the time then, especially in hot summer.

You are trying to put lipstick on a pig instead of using an apple.
        Obviously, you would only have it on from say October to April.

At least it would be better than most mining where TWh of electricity are just being wasted pumping heat into the atmosphere.
        Scoots still says that Apr 2020 didn't mark the start of a new stock bull market.

Comment

You're kidding right?

3.4kW is nearly 12,000 btu, which would be a whopping radiator. And there is another difference. The mining rig would be pumping this out constantly 24x7.

Obviously, it would be a single heat source, making it difficult to heat an entire house. However, some people, in smaller homes, manage with just a log burner and a big enough rig could definitely replace one of those.
          Sorry I missed this was some sort of big rig I was picturing smaller ones scattered around the house, microservers or whatever.

You could, I suppose, use this to heat up your CH if you could really be bothered. Sink it in an oil bath with a heat exchanger or something

As said, you only want to run it in winter though.
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Obviously, you would only have it on from say October to April.
            Yes, naturally and run it 1/3 of the time for when you are at home (pre-Covid era)?

So the (expensive!) equipment will work half of 1/3 time. Plus it will be fecking loud.

A much better solution is to round up all the miners on Chinese stadiums and solve this problem once a for all.

Comment

Still waiting on CryptoPanels... solar panels with in-built mining chips which use any spare capacity. Totally modular, the more panels you have the more you make

Was it one of Elon's companies that makes solar roof tiles?
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Forget the idea of mining Bitcoin at home. It's a total non-starter.

I don't understand the details (obviously, doh!) but it's extremely unlikely you'd ever earn anything with a single rig, even if you left it running for decades. Apparently, you don't get any reward from mining until you've done enough computation to receive 6.25 BTC (over $200,000). This is why mining pools have been set up; to allow individuals to still participate.

I suppose there may be other coins which are easier to mine, where you could receive regular rewards with a single rig.

Comment

For anyone who's interested, coins which can still be mined from home:

https://bravenewcoin.com/insights/cr...-home-computer

Comment

You make rig join pool, obviously

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                      You make rig join pool, obviously
                      Or you treat it like the lottery, you mine for years hoping to hit the jackpot. Current mining reward is 6.25 BTC I think, so that could be quite a lot of money for a permie if the miner is lucky.
                      First Law of Contracting: Only the strong survive

Comment

Working...
                      X