• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Brexit: Gibraltar angered by Spain's EU 'veto'

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gibral...ferendum,_2002

The "Democratic will" of the people of Gibraltar is shown above.

An overwhelming vote in favour of remaining British............with all that this means...........including the popular will to Brexit.

Nobody is denying the Gibraltarians democracy..............except the Spanish, aided and abetted by the EU it seems.

Do try and keep up.

So an old referendum trumps a newer one. Your logic is astounding, you must work for local government.

Further to that, as a result of that old referendum, the British Government said it would not negotiate on the future of Gibraltar without the consent of the people of Gibraltar.
    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
      No they don't.
      Oh yes they do.

Originally posted by squarepeg View Post
      Yes, that's a very good analogy. The husband is standing in the door shouting, "I'm leaving!" while the wife keeps saying, "OK. Whatever, just tell me how we'll deal with the kids and what am I supposed to do about the mortgage" while she's pouring ketchup all over his clothes and other worldly possessions. Perfectly civilised.
      As opposed to the marriage itself where the husband tries to be reasonable and the wife, unable to annoy him, resorts to the "blue dress or red dress" tactic. Whichever he picks, she shouts at him for picking the wrong one.

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
        So an old referendum trumps a newer one. Your logic is astounding, you must work for local government.

Further to that, as a result of that old referendum, the British Government said it would not negotiate on the future of Gibraltar without the consent of the people of Gibraltar.
        When was this later Gibraltar referendum?

Comment

So an old referendum trumps a newer one. Your logic is astounding,

Well come on Mr Logical. Do you seriously think that the people of Gibraltar are going to reverse the 2002 sovereignty referendum on the basis of the Brexit vote? I mean seriously?

And nothing has changed. Do please point me towards the polls suggesting that the Gibraltarians have now done a u-turn.

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by squarepeg View Post
            Yes, that's a very good analogy. The husband is standing in the door saying, "You are nuts I want a divorce!" while the wife keeps saying, "I'll take you for every penny, just tell me how we'll deal with the 27 kids I had by other fathers and what am I supposed to do without the cash you used to pay me I might have to get the other Dads to pay for their Brats" while she's pouring petrol all over his clothes and other worldly possessions. Perfectly civilised.
            FTFY
            Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
              As opposed to the marriage itself where the husband tries to be reasonable and the wife, unable to annoy him, resorts to the "blue dress or red dress" tactic. Whichever he picks, she shouts at him for picking the wrong one.
              The husband thinks reasonable is going to work and making sure he's never at home to deal with the children plus the house also cleans itself.
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                What I have never understood is that Spain has free access to Gibraltar. Why not just buy up everything that comes on the market then eventually they will own it.....
                You mean like how they own O2 (Telefonica), BA (IAG), Heathrow (and the rest of BAA) (Ferrovial), Santander, Scottish Power (Iberdola).

Comment

Well come on Mr Logical. Do you seriously think that the people of Gibraltar are going to reverse the 2002 sovereignty referendum on the basis of the Brexit vote? I mean seriously?

And nothing has changed. Do please point me towards the polls suggesting that the Gibraltarians have now done a u-turn.

I think he means they wanted to stay in the EU. Maybe someone should ask them this morning knowing the EU will gift them to Spain?

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                    The husband thinks reasonable is going to work and making sure he's never at home to deal with the children plus the house also cleans itself.
                    Broke the Analogy. Some bitterness there?

the UK is constantly cleaning up after the EU.

Comment

Are you saying that the British Government is not entering into negotiations about the future of Gibraltar?

You're so confused, I suspect your next tactic will be to avoid the question, respond with smilies, bury your head in the sand and imagine it all goes away.

Comment

Working...
                      X