• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Scottish Referendum Part 2 - Electric Boogaloo

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
    The SNP got 44% of the vote in 2011 and 46.5% in 2016.

Hardly a giant leap in the right direction is it? Pretty much the same percentage that "YES" polled in 2014. The real winners were the Tories whose share jumped by over 8%. I'm guessing they are mainly pro-union.

On top of that, 1/3 of those who voted YES in 2014 also voted for Brexit. Not sure you can fully count on all of those votes if it goes to another referendum.
    No, it's not a giant leap forward, but it's still an increase from a party entering it's third term in government.

I don't know what the result of another referendum will be, but what I'm trying to get across is that you can't argue with the mandate to call one.

The Tories are governing the UK with 36% and you think that is a mandate, but 46% in Scotland isn't. If the Tories had taken 56 of every 59 seats available to them, would anyone be doubting their right to do whatever the f**k they decide they want to do ?
    When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
      It will be Ruth Davidson I expect. The most popular and capable lesbian in Scotland at the moment.

HTH
      FTFY
      ah excellent a bit of bigotry and hate speech.

Good to see you are behaving like an adult. Always clear who are truly unpleasant.

Mods feel free to edit my quote of SpouterTulip's views.
      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

36%. That's how much the Tories got to win a majority in the last general election, which gave them the right to put a vote on the table to pull the whole country out of the EU.
        It gave them the right to hold a referendum and ask the electorate what they wanted to happen. Pretty democratic if you ask me.

No different from the Referendum that Scotland was given less than 3 years ago. If only people would recognise the will of the people and just get on with things.

Thicker than a mutton sandwich.
        Oh stop putting yourself down. I prefer to think of you as a simple organism that noisily converts porridge into faeces.

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by TestMangler View Post
          I don't know what the result of another referendum will be, but what I'm trying to get across is that you can't argue with the mandate to call one.
          I can understand why she wants to call one. I am just wondering, should this one end up going the same way, what will be her rationale for a third one?
          Because as sure as eggs are eggs, that will be the case.
          “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

I can understand why she wants to call one. I am just wondering, should this one end up going the same way, what will be her rationale for a third one?
            Well, I would expect a no vote would be the end of Sturgeons career, however, If the next Scottish parliamentary election returned a pro-indy majority, then I don't see why they wouldn't have the right to keep calling them.

All your pro union parties have to do is win enough power in the Scottish elections to stop that happening. It's not rocket science. As it stands, pro union parties in Scotland have been pretty much trounced in the last 2 elections. You really can't argue with that, like it or not.
            When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
              ah excellent a bit of bigotry and hate speech.

Good to see you are behaving like an adult. Always clear who are truly unpleasant.

Mods feel free to edit my quote of SpouterTulip's views.
              It was she herself that said it, you nitwit! (although why she felt the need, headline grabbing I suppose).

Ruth Davidson on 'shovel-faced lesbians'

Them jingoistic Brexiters are desperate.
              Last edited by scooterscot; 28 March 2017, 19:16.
              "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by TestMangler View Post

All your pro union parties have to do is win enough power in the Scottish elections to stop that happening. It's not rocket science. As it stands, pro union parties in Scotland have been pretty much trounced in the last 2 elections. You really can't argue with that, like it or not.
                Well as long as they don't get trounced in an IndyRef I guess it will be pretty much carry on as normal.

Comment

This +1
                  The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

People in Scotland already know what they'll get is they remain in the EU. That's why they voted to remain 60% plus.

It's a no brainer.
                    Alas, you forget that there is NOT majority support in Scotland for independence from the UK. And support for SNP is waning too which is why Sturgeon is desperate.

You make an absolutely false assumption that 60% of Scotland who voted to remain in the EU would automatically vote to leave the UK in order to remain in the EU. But this simply isn't the case. Plenty would prefer to remain in both, but would choose the UK first, not the EU. And there were plenty who voted to leave the UK last time around in order to get out of the EU.

And answer me this. Lets say Scotland overall voted for independence, but several council areas voted to remain in the UK. Should they get to remain in the UK?
                    Taking a break from contracting

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
                      This +1
                      The case would be operating a manifesto pledge upon which her party was elected. Not a concept Westminster seems to understand.

Nor the electorate I might add. Until the simple cast of society demonstrate an understanding of democracy they should abstain from, well just breathing in and out would be a start.
                      "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                      X