• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Blocking A50 over eu nationals

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
    The UK could control its immigration from outside the EU without leaving the EU if the UK government could be bothered to do something about it. Instead they chose (and convinced others) to do nothing but blame the EU.

Has anyone ever told you that there's a difference between freedom of movement for EU nationals and visa requirements for non-EU nationals?
    It is not unfettered freedom of movement for EU nationals. There are conditions:

EU citizens are entitled to:
    look for a job in another EU country
    work there without needing a work permit
    reside there for that purpose
    stay there even after employment has finished
    enjoy equal treatment with nationals in access to employment, working conditions and all other social and tax advantages
    So the question of UK retirees in (e.g.) Spain is particularly relevant, because they never came under the definition of freedom of movement of labour, except for the few who worked there first. Or does anyone know if there was a specific right for retirees?

Comment

Originally posted by GB9 View Post
      I've just explained. Point out why I'm incorrect then.
      UK elects constituency representatives. She was elected by the constituents of Maidenhead.
      She was elected as an MP, not PM

She was also elected to lead the Conservative party.
      By small unelected portion of the UK population based on whether they paid a membership fee or not...

That's the way it works in this country.
      And you don't see a problem here?

I assume you meant she hasn't been leader of the winning party / coalition following a general election.
      That's partially what I meant and Darmstadt chart listed her in the "unelected" category, disproving your point, to which you replied

Proves my point. Thank you.
      Was that detailed enough?
      Last edited by sal; 2 March 2017, 15:39.

Comment

Originally posted by sal View Post

By small unelected portion of the UK population based on whether they paid a membership fee or not...

That's partially what I meant and Darmsdadt chart listed her in the "unelected" category, disproving your point, to which you replied

So basically, I'm right but you don't like it.

Comment

FFS Which bit of 'None have' do you have an issue with?

Comment

That's partially what I meant and Darmstadt chart listed her in the "unelected" category, disproving your point, to which you replied

The logical conclusion to draw from your posts is that the American way is better. Oops.
            The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

So basically, I'm right but you don't like it.
              Glad you are finding it funny that the country you are living in is being steered wrecked by a person "elected" by 0.002% of the population.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
                It is not unfettered freedom of movement for EU nationals. There are conditions:

So the question of UK retirees in (e.g.) Spain is particularly relevant, because they never came under the definition of freedom of movement of labour, except for the few who worked there first. Or does anyone know if there was a specific right for retirees?
                I very much suspect that when the UK does take back "control" the rules will be very similar to the above, apart from a "rubber stamped" visa and some token gesture such as that locals are given preference.

They are being deliberately vague on what the new rules are going to be, for good reason.

I'm alright Jack

Comment

Glad you are finding it funny that the country you are living in is being steered wrecked by a person "elected" by 0.002% of the population.
                  Deary me, you're having a mare. You're not ScooterScot's sockie are you?

You vote for an MP of a certain party; technically only the PM's constituents actually voted for them and they're generally in a safe seat.
                  The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
                    The logical conclusion to draw from your posts is that the American way is better. Oops.
                    No. The conclusion of my original post was that MP are supposed to vote based on their own/their constituency conviction. That's what they were elected to do, not to get whipped by the PM to obey a mandated vote. Which goes against the Separation of powers, when the PM (Executive power) can dictate the action of the MPs (Legislative power).

I'm not debating the "quality" of the election/government system, just the blatant misuse of it.

Comment

The PM can only request a 3 line whip, what the MP's vote is in their hands. Take note Mr Corblimey.

Not that he needs to really as he's the most whip avoiding MP in history.

Comment

Working...
                      X