• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Blocking A50 over eu nationals

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
    Deary me, you're having a mare. You're not ScooterScot's sockie are you?

You vote for an MP of a certain party; technically only the PM's constituents actually voted for them and they're generally in a safe seat.
    I'm talking about the fact that May was elected as leader of the Conservative party and by association PM by the members of the conservative party that represent about 0.002% of the population of the UK, not about who elected her as MP

Comment

Originally posted by sal View Post
      No. The conclusion of my original post was that MP are supposed to vote based on their own/their constituency conviction. That's what they were elected to do, not to get whipped by the PM to obey a mandated vote. Which goes against the Separation of powers, when the PM (Executive power) can dictate the action of the MPs (Legislative power).

I'm not debating the "quality" of the election/government system, just the blatant misuse of it.
      The PM is stating that the members of Parliament respect the mandate of the people, as determined by the outcome of the referendum. If you don't like the result of the referendum, tough; there have been many other decisions that many of us have not liked down the years but we go with a majority.
      The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
        The PM is stating that the members of Parliament respect the mandate of the people, as determined by the outcome of the referendum. If you don't like the result of the referendum, tough; there have been many other decisions that many of us have not liked down the years but we go with a majority.
        I'm not saying MPs should vote against A50 and Brexit, but there is more than one way to skin a cat. So they can still vote to give the EU citizens guaranteed stay AND obey the "mandate" of the referendum triggering A50, it's not one OR the other...

The whole notion that MP are considered "rebels" for not doing what the PM is telling them to do is ridiculous.

BTW If i'm not mistaken the referendum was advisory, so not exactly a mandate, but it's semantics as that ship has already sailed.

Comment

I'm not saying MPs should vote against A50 and Brexit, but there is more than one way to skin a cat. So they can still vote to give the EU citizens guaranteed stay AND obey the "mandate" of the referendum triggering A50, it's not one OR the other...

The whole notion that MP are considered "rebels" for not doing what the PM is telling them to do is ridiculous.

BTW If i'm not mistaken the referendum was advisory, so not exactly a mandate, but it's semantics as that ship has already sailed.
          Correct; you've got Camoron to thank for not treating it as a mandate to negotiate a much better deal with Europe rather than leave, with leaving as a trump card to use should he not be able to broker the correct deal for the UK.
          The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Glad you are finding it funny that the country you are living in is being steered wrecked by a person "elected" by 0.002% of the population.
            I was laughing because having stated that I didn't know what I meant, I proved I was correct.

You just don't like the system. I sympathise as it's the same one that gave us Gordon Brown.

On your latest point, please give an example of MPs not voting for their constituents

Comment

Originally posted by GB9 View Post
              I was laughing because having stated that I didn't know what I meant, I proved I was correct.

You just don't like the system. I sympathise as it's the same one that gave us Gordon Brown.

On your latest point, please give an example of MPs not voting for their constituents
              All but 1 Conservative MP voted for triggering A50

Much more than 1 Conservative constituency voted Remain

I will let you do the digging yourself, if you want an exact list.

Comment

UK doesn't vote for a Prime Minister directly. Hence not a President.
                Correct, the UK doesn't vote for a Prime Minister therefore she must be an unelected Prime Minister

UK elects constituency representatives. She was elected by the constituents of Maidenhead.
                Probably not at the next election as one of her election campaign statements was that she was against a thrid runway at Heathrow and now she has managed to a 180% turn on that which people there are not too happy about. Full of contradictions that woman...

Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

The SNP got a vastly disproportionate number of seats to the votes they actually received at the 2015 General Election; not sure what you're point is, given you've previously conceded that the majority decision that was reached at the referendum should be abided by.

Comment

Of course the interesting thing on A50 is the referendum wasn't on a constituency basis, but I'm sure you know that anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
                      Correct, the UK doesn't vote for a Prime Minister therefore she must be an unelected Prime Minister

Probably not at the next election as one of her election campaign statements was that she was against a thrid runway at Heathrow and now she has managed to a 180% turn on that which people there are not too happy about. Full of contradictions that woman...

She was definitely elected.

As I said, we don't have a President!

Comment

Working...
                      X