• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Sky poll demonstrates support for leaving the single market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

More wise words from our Prime minister:

Theresa May hailed Britain as a “hub for foreign investment” – even as leading banks said they are poised to shift thousands of jobs away because of Brexit.

Theresa May hailed Britain as a “hub for foreign investment” – even as leading banks said they are poised to shift thousands of jobs away because of Brexit.

Meanwhile in the real world.

https://www.theguardian.com/business...xit-pay-growth

ohn Philpott, director of theJobsEconomist.org, said the employment figures also revealed tumbling levels of self-employment, part-time working and employment of temporary workers, who had borne the brunt of the slowdown.

“Don’t be fooled by headline news of falling unemployment and higher wage growth. The jobs market is at present slowing not growing, as those in precarious work know only too well,” he said.
    I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
      The whole point of stat analysis is to quantify the words highlighted if you can.
      In my daily work, if I had the Sky data, before I took the Sky analysis at face value I'd want to check and quantify any bias that using just Sky customers may or may not entail.
      You may be right that Virgin demographics are the same, you may not be, you'd have to investigate further or else heavily qualify/hedge your conclusions.
      Indeed, however what you said was the poll was obviously inaccurate and we were fools to believe it.

We all know most polls are suspect (IPSO MORI seem to expect 3%) however this was an interesting result and even with say 6% variation it was quite surprising. Lets see what the traditional polls come up with.

Sky do seem to be getting into this and have leveraged their successful targeted advert platform to do it.
      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

hmm, from the same article...

Davos: Theresa May hails UK as 'foreign investment hub' despite banks looking to move jobs abroad due to Brexit | The Independent

Ms May said....

"Indeed, our biggest manufacturer, Tata, is Indian – and you still can’t get more British than a Jaguar or a Land Rover"

would be nicer if Britains biggest manufacturer was a British company, but nevertheless, I guess at a time when you are trying to sell Britain as a manufacturing hub for foreign companies then it's a good example for others

Milan.
        Last edited by milanbenes; 19 January 2017, 13:18.

Comment

Originally posted by milanbenes View Post
          hmm, from the same article...

Davos: Theresa May hails UK as 'foreign investment hub' despite banks looking to move jobs abroad due to Brexit | The Independent

Ms May said....

"Indeed, our biggest manufacturer, Tata, is Indian – and you still can’t get more British than a Jaguar or a Land Rover"

hmm, not sure whether to be proud of that or not

Milan.

Its British without the strikes or corruption.

Was thinking about this in the Gym last night. So many quality companies got their start here but we try to kill them.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
            Indeed, however what you said was the poll was obviously inaccurate and we were fools to believe it.

We all know most polls are suspect (IPSO MORI seem to expect 3%) however this was an interesting result and even with say 6% variation it was quite surprising. Lets see what the traditional polls come up with.

Sky do seem to be getting into this and have leveraged their successful targeted advert platform to do it.
            I think the more interesting polls are those that show what proportion of the population are willing to suffer economic pain due to Brexit.
            I may be wrong but apparently all polls, bar none, show that only a minority want to stop free movement of EU workers if it would hurt their standard of living.
            I may be wrong about that ... I haven't done a meta analysis, but would ibe interested if anyone could point to a poll which proved me wrong.
            Hard Brexit now!
            #prayfornodeal

Comment

Freedom of movement also part of any trade deal with China or India

Interesting to hear that both the trade deals that China and India have said they would talk to us about include freedom of movement of their people to the UK.
              Warning unicorn meat may give you hallucinations

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post

Mori and Yougov were wrong about the election results due to their polling methods. Their methods relied on internet and telephones. The polls using the more traditional interview techniques were less biased as they reached more older people.

If you poll people by SMS you miss out the demographic of Sky customers - and I know some - who refuse to respond to SMSs for a variety of reasons.
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                  Mori and Yougov were wrong about the election results due to their polling methods. Their methods relied on internet and telephones. The polls using the more traditional interview techniques were less biased as they reached more older people.

If you poll people by SMS you miss out the demographic of Sky customers - and I know some - who refuse to respond to SMSs for a variety of reasons.

The responses were weighted according to age & demographics.

Comment

This really proves nothing at all. I guess most on the remain would be happy if Mrs May could get all she outlined in her speech. However the simple truth is she can't. That's not being defeatist, it's not being 'Un British',it's simply a fact. Nobody who had been involved in free trade talks thinks you can get one done in 18 months(Yes folks 18 months not 2 years as time is needed for ratification)

Mays speech was simply her opening gambit in high stakes game of poker, the right wing press loved it and most of the UK people like it as it's appears to be all take and no give. Once the talks being, the reality will be present for all to see.

Comment

looks like the Brexiters have gone away, had a rest, had a cup of tea, digested the conversation,

and,

thrown in the towel

there's lovely

Milan in "I told you so" mode.

Comment

Working...
                      X