• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Sky poll demonstrates support for leaving the single market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    See above.
    I'm afraid I'm as thick as mince, (or scotch broth dependent on who is throwing the insults). You will have to call it out explicitly. I appreciate that this will take a minute of your life but it would certainly help me. And maybe the other Brexiteers.

If sas is busy maybe one of the other statistically enlightened Remnants who slagged off the poll could help him out.

Thanks in advance.

Comment

A more obvious/extreme example might be if Audi polled people who bought new cars from their dealerships in the last 3 years what they think about any issue.
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
        A more obvious/extreme example might be if Audi polled people who bought new cars from their dealerships in the last 3 years what they think about any issue.

It would be fun to see what the new car buying Audi population think of Brexit

Why stop there, you could go across the spectrum of the brands.

Milan.

Comment

Originally posted by GB9 View Post
          I'm afraid I'm as thick as mince, (or scotch broth dependent on who is throwing the insults). You will have to call it out explicitly. I appreciate that this will take a minute of your life but it would certainly help me. And maybe the other Brexiteers.

If sas is busy maybe one of the other statistically enlightened Remnants who slagged off the poll could help him out.

Thanks in advance.
          I thought I'd made it clear See my earlier post, previous page
          Hard Brexit now!
          #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
            I'm sorry, I really don't understand.

Comment

I thought I'd made it clear See my earlier post, about 3 back
              No. You need to be explicit.

You stated there was something statistically incorrect with the poll. Please tell us what it is.

Comment

Originally posted by GB9 View Post
                No. You need to be explicit.

You stated there was something statistically incorrect with the poll. Please tell us what it is.
                It is, technically, an unrepresentative sample. I've explained in more detail on the previous page.
                Are you incapable of navigating this thread?
                Hard Brexit now!
                #prayfornodeal

Comment

sorry started writing an hour ago so some of it has been updated in this thread.

The answer is in the contradiction contained in this statement:

"Sky Data interviewed a nationally representative sample of 1,068 Sky customers by SMS on 17 January 2017"

Do you see what the problem is?
                  I think he is saying a survey of sky customers is not representative of the UK just like a survey of Guardian readers (178,758) or Daily Mail (1,657,867) or maybe those willing to be polled by Mori/Youguv (<600,000 I suspect) etc.

However as Sky have 12 Million customers to choose from and has details of their class values I suspect that it is less of a concern than he believes.

As always precision is a key part of the AssGuru experience his link of course gets you straight to the answer

Wikipedia does not have an article with this exact name. Please search for Sampling (statistics in Wikipedia to check for alternative titles or spellings.

So moving swiftly on lets try listening to someone who knows what they are talking about.

https://www.ipsos-mori.com/newsevent...Questions.aspx

For this reason, most polls in Britain use quota sampling which pre-determines the demographic make-up of the sample to ensure it matches the profile of the whole adult population - although they often incorporate elements of random sampling as well, such as selecting telephone numbers by random digit dialling or, in the case of face-to-face interviews, randomly selecting the areas where the interviews are conducted. The quotas ensure, in theory, that we don't over-represent any groups that are easier to find, and that for every potential respondent who won't take part we replace them with somebody of similar views who will. Historically in Britain, the record of quota samples in predicting elections has been better than that of random samples.
                  There are about 42 million adults in Great Britain, and most polls have a sample size of 1,000 adults. In any given year, MORI conducts only just over 400,000 interviews - and that includes not only opinion polls (which are a comparatively small part of our business), but all our other market research work as well.
                  Last edited by vetran; 19 January 2017, 10:29.
                  Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Sas,

you're wasting your time with this conversation

He thinks Sky "Full Package" Subscribers who react to an unsolicited SMS are a representative sample of the electorate to use for drawing sentiment conclusions of the whole population of the country regarding Brexit

You don't think that Sky "Full Package" Subscribers who react to an unsolicited SMS are a representative sample of the electorate to use for drawing sentiment conclusions of the whole population of the country regarding Brexit

That's it.

Milan.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                      I think he is saying a survey of sky customers is not representative of the UK just like a survey of Guardian readers (178,758) or Daily Mail (1,657,867) or maybe those willing to be polled by Mori/Youguv (<600,000 I suspect) etc.

However as Sky have 12 Million customers t choose from and has details of their class values I suspect that it is less of a concern than he believes.

So moving swiftly on lets try listening to someone who knows what they are talking about.
                      That wouldn't be you.

Don't express your stupidity to all and sundry.

The representativeness of a sample is not related to its size.*

Edit. In the interests of precision that's not strictly true. But a large unrepresentative sample is as bad as a small one for making inferences about the pop at large.
                      Last edited by sasguru; 19 January 2017, 10:37.
                      Hard Brexit now!
                      #prayfornodeal

Comment

Working...
                      X