• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Get your thieving Oirish hands off our apples!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Yes, fosters is a cheap LAGER, Strongbow is a cheap CIDER. It is snobbery because these are simple facts. I don't think there is a way to explain this any more simply so you just go on thinking it if that makes you happy.
    It's not snobbery to think something is crap.
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
      It's not snobbery to think something is crap.
      Nobody made that assertion, or claimed the offending products were not crap Go read the thread properly. If you're still stuck ask for help.
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
        you can make it with just apple juice from a carton, its not bad.

http://www.homebrewcentregy.com/medi...urbo_cider.pdf

Though having planted 4 apple trees I'm hoping to try it for real soon.
        I hope you have applied for you £300 per year per tree EU subsidy
        "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

This is our local Cider Bar in Newton Abbot. Nothing under 6% as far as I recall and they pretty much only sell Ciders or homemade wines.

Shlurp!!
          “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Are those all farmyard scrumpy styles, served warm and flat?

Comment

Pretty much. Not especially warm to be fair.
              “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

I wish I was, but I'm not a scrumpy fan. I always get excited seeing cider at a beer festival or what have you, but have come to the conclusion the cider I like is more of the French style, medium-sweet. Maybe if I invested some more time drinking it...

Comment

Always flat, never warm.

Other characteristics (which you may wish to take with a pinch of salt) include a liberal sprinkling of rats hairs and more than your daily dose of cyanide courtesy of the pips which contain concentrations of this compound.
                  Last edited by Pip in a Poke; 19 January 2017, 09:36.

Comment

I'm sure cider is full of bits of flora and fauna since if you pick wild fruit it's amazing how many bugs there are and bits of mould here and there. I doubt industrial brewing allows time to inspect each fruit so there'll be wasps, spiders, bird crap, etc... it's like when you forage blackberries for a pie you shouldn't look too closely before cooking You can wash and soak them but it doesn't get everything.

I doubt a cider press releases the cyanide in the pips (about which you are totally correct) and since cider isn't concentrated it's probably fine. If you blitzed the whole fruit rather than juicing/pressing and then decided to make applejack/scumble out of it I wonder what level you might reach though... there is at least one story of someone killing themself eating a cup-full of apple pips because they liked the taste.

Comment

I'm sure there was a gag about the similarity to making love in a rowing boat and <fill in with name of crap drink>.

Have made plenty of Elderberry (with or withour blackberries) Wine/Port, and very good it is too <hic>.

Comment

Working...
                      X