• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

IMF led by convicted criminal.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
    It was a conviction, but not a criminal conviction and the BBC never said it was. But don't let that get in the way of a good story.

OK, we'll remove the word criminal.

All sources I have seen use the word convicted. What sort of conviction was it?

Comment

Originally posted by GB9 View Post
      OK, we'll remove the word criminal.

All sources I have seen use the word convicted. What sort of conviction was it?
      I''ll give you a hint:

Criminal Records and the CRB - InBrief.co.uk

Technically any conviction in a court of a criminal offence is a criminal record. In practice, however, many motoring offences are not deemed to be crimes for criminal record purposes. Motoring offences dealt with by way of a fixed penalty notice are not criminal convictions. Offences that are prosecuted by Local Authorities are also sometimes criminal offences, though they are unlikely to be on the Police National Computer (PNC).
      Her conviction is not on the criminal record in the same way that a motoring offence isn't.
      I'm alright Jack

Comment

I''ll give you a hint:

Her conviction is not on the criminal record in the same way that a motoring offence isn't.
        She was convicted of negligence by a French court.

What does that make her in France?

Comment

Just want to point out she's not actually a convicted criminal, no more than someone with a parking fine is.

Still if keeps the Daily Mail readers happy in their fantasy world.

A French court has found International Monetary Fund chief Christine Lagarde guilty of negligence

Maybe Darren Upton should appeal and say he is guilty only of bad parking.

Comment

I''ll give you a hint:

Allowing the misuse of public funds is not like parking badly.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
              so when is a conviction not criminal when prosecuted by the state?
              No, when the judge decides, under French law, that it was not a criminal act.

Originally posted by GB9 View Post
              She was convicted of negligence by a French court.

What does that make her in France?
              Guilty of negligence, but not a criminal.
              Accused of allowing the misuse of public funds, rather than actual corruption, she could potentially have been sentenced to a year in prison and a fine of €15,000 but escaped a sentence and emerges from the trial without a criminal record.

You see, different countries have different laws, which allow things to be a bit a different from how they are in England and Wales. For example, in Scotland, there is a verdict of "not proven", as opposed to the binary Guilty/Not Guilty.
              Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                A French court has found International Monetary Fund chief Christine Lagarde guilty of negligence

Maybe Darren Upton should appeal and say he is guilty only of bad parking.
                Probably more similar to careless driving and causing damage to some expensive property,
                I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                  No, when the judge decides, under French law, that it was not a criminal act.

Guilty of negligence, but not a criminal.
                  Accused of allowing the misuse of public funds, rather than actual corruption, she could potentially have been sentenced to a year in prison and a fine of €15,000 but escaped a sentence and emerges from the trial without a criminal record.

You see, different countries have different laws, which allow things to be a bit a different from how they are in England and Wales. For example, in Scotland, there is a verdict of "not proven", as opposed to the binary Guilty/Not Guilty.
                  OK. Well please feel free to remove the word 'criminal' from the thread title if it isn't correct.

Comment

Lets be honest most people posting here have probably been convicted at some point of a minor traffic offence, handled by the criminal courts. You had point on your licence then you have had a conviction.
                    I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                      Allowing the misuse of public funds is not like parking badly.
                      It is in the EUSSRR Comerade!
                      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Working...
                      X