• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

oh I'm liking Ze Express

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
    My colleague is flying to Bremen. I wrote down some useful tips on getting the bus from the airport. Including “I want the bus to halt here please” translated as "Ich möchte einen Büstenhalter bitte"
    Oh that made me laugh...too funny

//Xenon

Comment

Nice to see our elite uni students have time on their hands.

Comment

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
        Nice to see our elite uni students have time on their hands.
        To spend on things like sport, politics, etc... If you think the point of university is just to sit in a bunch of lectures you miss the point write badly.

Also it seems the people with time on their hands are the journalists making stuff up rather than reporting news: https://ousu.org/news/article/6013/O...tral-Pronouns/
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
          To spend on things like sport, politics, etc... If you think the point of university is just to sit in a bunch of lectures you miss the point write badly.

Also it seems the people with time on their hands are the journalists making stuff up rather than reporting news: https://ousu.org/news/article/6013/O...tral-Pronouns/
          I could have missed the point of uni, I studied in the evening and worked full time. For me uni was learning something to further my career and earning potential. I guess if you are from a wealthy background and at oxford you don't have the same goals.

Comment

It works for poor people as well. Take out a huge loan to cover fees and living expenses, and you can not only further your career and earning potential, but also take part in the other opportunities afforded to you.
            Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
              It works for poor people as well. Take out a huge loan to cover fees and living expenses, and you can not only further your career and earning potential, but also take part in the other opportunities afforded to you.
              It's all clear now, thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                It works for poor people as well. Take out a huge loan to cover fees and living expenses, and you can not only further your career and earning potential, but also take part in the other opportunities afforded to you. And be saddled with a huge debt the rest of your working life.
                FTFM
                Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
                  I could have missed the point of uni, I studied in the evening and worked full time. For me uni was learning something to further my career and earning potential. I guess if you are from a wealthy background and at oxford you don't have the same goals.
                  Good condescension there. I suppose if you were doing a vocational course at the local poly it makes sense. Or less patronisingly, if you're doing evening courses (all credit to you) then obviously you want to max out the learning.

But seriously, university is NOT school. If you only spend your time studying, you've missed a huge range of other opportunities. A degree is just a piece of paper to get your foot in the door of employment for the majority who aren't working in the exact field they studied (medicine, law, etc). If you've got your 2:1 they aren't going to ask you how many hours you spent studying Vs partying. And in fact an employer would be interested if you can talk about your non-academic university activities such as being involved in student union, being a freshers' rep, sports, societies. If they ask you about your university time and you say "I studied". it makes you look like a loser

And it's all very well talking about debt but most of us went to uni at a time when we DIDN'T get saddled with huge debts. I think I ended up with 12k or so and I'm younger than most here.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                    Good condescension there. I suppose if you were doing a vocational course at the local poly it makes sense. Or less patronisingly, if you're doing evening courses (all credit to you) then obviously you want to max out the learning.

But seriously, university is NOT school. If you only spend your time studying, you've missed a huge range of other opportunities. A degree is just a piece of paper to get your foot in the door of employment for the majority who aren't working in the exact field they studied (medicine, law, etc). If you've got your 2:1 they aren't going to ask you how many hours you spent studying Vs partying. And in fact an employer would be interested if you can talk about your non-academic university activities such as being involved in student union, being a freshers' rep, sports, societies. If they ask you about your university time and you say "I studied". it makes you look like a loser

And it's all very well talking about debt but most of us went to uni at a time when we DIDN'T get saddled with huge debts. I think I ended up with 12k or so and I'm younger than most here.
                    Uni is place to study and do research. If you can do that well and go off saving the world then fine. For me you study, learn and get good at something. I paid for my uni course by working - it's no big deal and others on my degree did the same.

You might say my post was condescending but your post, well it was twatish.

Comment

Sorry but you're just flat out wrong. If you just want to study, do OU or night school or vocational courses if you want to learn specific skills. Those are great options.

No university will agree with your position and neither would most graduate employers.
                      Universities are about learning to think and developing as a person, not just studying.
                      For a start, university teaching schedules are designed so you have time to do other things.

If I'd spent all my time at university with my head in books I wouldn't have got a better grade but I would have missed out on 3 years of actually living.

Comment

Working...
                      X