• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

oh I'm liking Ze Express

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
    I can't imagine 400 year old Oxford colleges are that great for disabled students either.
    They have to retro-fit them to comply with the Equality legislation.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
      "They" is plural.

What is needed is a singular gender neutral pronoun.
      As the link I posted shows, there is such thing as the "singular they" and it has been used as such for centuries.

"That northanladuk poster always replies to my threads in the Accounting forum and they always tell me to ask my accountant".
      Last edited by TheCyclingProgrammer; 12 December 2016, 16:43.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
        As the link I posted shows, there is such thing as the "singular they" and it has been used as such for centuries.

"That northanladuk poster always replies to my threads in the Accounting forum and they always tell me to ask my accountant".
        Yes but they cannot make a song n dance about it if something already exists to satisfy the need.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post

Though interestingly "they tell" uses the plural conjugation of "tell". If it was singular it'd be "they tells".

Complaining some more about German they use gender specific nouns for most things. So even Angela Merkel is Bundeskänzlerin. I've seen job ads where they write Softwareentwickler / Softwareentwicklerin, because to just ask for a software developer might be taken to mean that women can't apply, though mostly now they seem to write (m/w).
          Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
            Fortunately, my left big toe is the only part of me with gender issues.
            I've heard of a big toe with gout, but never one that wants to be out.
            Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
              I've heard of a big toe with gout, but never one that wants to be out.
              Cut off?

Comment

Use the disabled ones?

Disabled toilets btw are for more than those whose with visible and non-visible disabilities. For example they are useful if you need to take prescription medication in space.
                Not at a place I used to work, one of the males has just gone 'female' , but still got all the male utensils. She uses the female toilets.
                But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

Originally posted by Gibbon View Post
                  Not at a place I used to work, one of the males has just gone 'female' , but still got all the male utensils. She uses the female toilets.
                  Female toilets are all cubicles so not an issue.

Though I know from being in clubs in my younger years it was men specifically the bouncers who would get upset about women sneaking into the gents. It was never tried the other way round in clubs as the ladies were too packed.

Comment

Use the disabled ones?

Disabled toilets btw are for more than those whose with visible and non-visible disabilities. For example they are useful if you need to take prescription medication in space.
                    Indeed. I can still recall in the weeks and months following my vasectomy, I was required to report every few weeks and provide a fresh "wiggly sample" to ensure that the op had been a success.
                    I found that the Disabled toilets fitted the bill admirably. Although I did tend to get a little vexed with the incessant trying of the door handle by the hordes of incontinent coffin-dodgers that seem to haunt Torbay hospital like vanquished dementors!!
                    However, I quickly learned that a conciliatory call of "Hoi Grandad? Bugger off, I am trying to have a wafty crank in here!!" generally did the trick.
                    Besides, I was very much of the opinion that I had been rendered at that stage, in the truest sense, disabled.

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
                      Indeed. I can still recall in the weeks and months following my vasectomy, I was required to report every few weeks and provide a fresh "wiggly sample" to ensure that the op had been a success.
                      I found that the Disabled toilets fitted the bill admirably. Although I did tend to get a little vexed with the incessant trying of the door handle by the hordes of incontinent coffin-dodgers that seem to haunt Torbay hospital like vanquished dementors!!
                      However, I quickly learned that a conciliatory call of "Hoi Grandad? Bugger off, I am trying to have a wafty crank in here!!" generally did the trick.
                      Besides, I was very much of the opinion that I had been rendered at that stage, in the truest sense, disabled.

should have gone private or got the wife to help!
                      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Working...
                      X