• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Completely OT - elderly parents etc

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GJABS View Post
    Definitely something mental going on there. Bipolar or similar I would imagine.
    If you're not a suitably qualified healthcare professional, you don't know what you're talking about. If you are a suitably qualified healthcare professional, you should know better. I imagine it's the former.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
      If you're not a suitably qualified healthcare professional, you don't know what you're talking about. If you are a suitably qualified healthcare professional, you should know better. I imagine it's the former.
      I do know a fair amount about it from internet research of reputable websites. True I have no qualifications, but I don't see why that should stop me presenting a view.
      Last edited by GJABS; 15 December 2016, 23:12.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
        Out of interest why does he call an ambulance instead of 111?

I know they are useless but in his case they are people he can talk to.
        Because in his head its an emergency. Most of the time he presses his lifeline button thing, speaks to someone and they call 999 - not their fault.

He was at the docs again yesterday. Once again, the GP told him he was not ill enough to go to hospital and he had to wait until after xmas for his outpatient appointment.

Dad is now convinced he wont last and is fading away. Hes lost a bit of weight but his BMI is still well into overweight. But he wont listen. Also wont listen to the fact that umpteen doctors have said hospital is not appropriate (hes been taken into A&E three times, they've checked him over and sent him home!) and neither are any urgent appointments needed.

Hes supposed to be over ours for xmas but I can really see it coming to a head before the xmas weekend. It'll be an ambulance again on the fri/sat with a fake fall or trouble breathing.....
        Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Well, if possible things got worse over the new year. Spoke to him on thursday and he was flapping big time about a new tablet the GP had given him. An Anti-depressant (which I think may be a good idea) but of course hes read the leaflet etc and says if he feels ill hes pressing his emergency thing.

So I get a call Friday. Hes "had a fall" and is in hospital. I'm honestly, 99% sure this is self-inflicted. The GP wont come out to see him, the ambulance people have started him to tell him to phone his GP when hes says he feels ill, now hes upped it and "falling".

I've not been to see him in hospital. Brother can do that - my wife has been ill. Im not about to let the rest of my family down when hes doing things like this. But I've seen a picture - slight scratch on his head....

Having a nightmare to say the least.

Comment

Sorry but..... Why on earth are you discussing this on here?
            Last edited by northernladuk; 2 January 2017, 11:41.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              Sorry but..... Why on earth are you discussing this on here?
              He's letting of stream. Leave him be.
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

He's letting of stream. Leave him be.
                WSES.
                "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Well gig close to home is starting to become a bit of a double edged sword...... Being further away sort of got me out of a lot of things.

Those with elderly parents who are awkward will understand. You try to help them but its tough sometimes.

This weekend he insisted I come over and help him shower. I was going over anyway since it was fathers day. Bit of a busy weekend - wife had knee op friday so shes struggling a bit. As for me, shoulder/neck is playing up still - GP has said for me to minimise driving.

So 1pm I go over. (20+ miles away). Doesnt want a shower now, can I come back later? Stupidly I agree. It was fathers day.
                  So 7pm I'm back, leaving kids with mum which was not ideal. Find out then he'd had carer visit that morning who'd offered to help him shower but he'd said no because it was too early and I was going to help him anyway! Jeez - I was not impressed.

I think I need to get tough now. Still getting "can you take me to the hospital at 1pm week thursday" requests. I had these when I was 90 mins away too. I usually sort patient transport for him but hes not keen because they turn up 30 mins earlier than he wants to go. I've even tried to arrange and pay for taxi - wont have it - refuses to ever use a taxi "for people who've got more sense than money". Just does not seem to consider anyone else sadly.

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
                    Well gig close to home is starting to become a bit of a double edged sword...... Being further away sort of got me out of a lot of things.

Those with elderly parents who are awkward will understand. You try to help them but its tough sometimes.

This weekend he insisted I come over and help him shower. I was going over anyway since it was fathers day. Bit of a busy weekend - wife had knee op friday so shes struggling a bit. As for me, shoulder/neck is playing up still - GP has said for me to minimise driving.

So 1pm I go over. (20+ miles away). Doesnt want a shower now, can I come back later? Stupidly I agree. It was fathers day.
                    So 7pm I'm back, leaving kids with mum which was not ideal. Find out then he'd had carer visit that morning who'd offered to help him shower but he'd said no because it was too early and I was going to help him anyway! Jeez - I was not impressed.

I think I need to get tough now. Still getting "can you take me to the hospital at 1pm week thursday" requests. I had these when I was 90 mins away too. I usually sort patient transport for him but hes not keen because they turn up 30 mins earlier than he wants to go. I've even tried to arrange and pay for taxi - wont have it - refuses to ever use a taxi "for people who've got more sense than money". Just does not seem to consider anyone else sadly.
                    How old is your eldest kid?
                    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

How old is your eldest kid?
                      Ooo bit of a harsh suggestion.

What happens in General, stays in General.
                      You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Working...
                      X