• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Oh dear - permie redundancies - this never ends well

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I had a gig where they told everyone one morning they were closing the site and everyone was at risk of redundancy. So I assumed my contract would be canned and adopted a relaxed attitude to the work.

After about 4 weeks and with the building already practically empty I asked the question and was told they wanted me to stay on but would have to move to the main office 30 miles away.

I did another 6 months and used the extra commute as one of my justifications for a healthy rate rise. Which was nice.
    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      Yeah but those tapes don't change themselves so he's got a gig for life.

Not really, once all companies move away from C90s for their hold music and start using MP3s, he's sunk.
      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
        Jeez NLUK mun.....

YMMV but IN MY EXPERIENCE if a client is looking to cut costs by making redundancies then its often not very long before they work out that getting rid of contractors is a good idea too. Surely you can see this?

Not always because sometimes a client will value you staying because you're an easily removable cost at some point in the future.
        It's going to be tough at your age, going back on the game.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
          It's going to be tough at your age, going back on the game.
          I'm sure plenty of lube will help until he's broken properly back in
          The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            You've no idea about being a permie do you.
            Remind me again nluk how long you been doing this?
            Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Remind me again nluk how long you been doing this?
              What's that got to do with it? You've been a member on here for long enough and are still a permatractor. You were probably a permie for a long time but don't understand how the budgets work either.

Look at all the other comments. It's not just me.
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Usual replies on this forum I see....

Make disparaging remarks about what someone else does in their contract to make yourself feel all important and get a bit of a stiffie.

Carry on guys. Who am I to spoil that little bit of pleasure in your life....
                Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Makes me laugh.
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Make disparaging remarks about what someone else does in their contract to make yourself feel all important and get a bit of a stiffie.

I think that's the contractor way. Prey on the weak, tell them to man up and bill them for the pleasure!

Comment

Quite a few sensible replies to a pretty pathetic question TBF.
                      The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Working...
                      X