• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.

Oh dear - permie redundancies - this never ends well

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Oh dear - permie redundancies - this never ends well

    Usually not long before some bean counter notices that, even though they're saving a few pennies shoving the odd permie out the door, that theres a much larger bottom line with the contractors.

    Current client has just given the boot to a few permies. One of them was pretty good - who knows how they operate.

    Was expecting to get called in and given notice but didnt. Seems contractors are staying -for now.

    Just signed an extension so just hoping I can last until end of next extension (end Feb).
    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

    #2
    At least there's someone on hand who can advise on how to claim JSA.

    Comment


      #3
      You've absolutely no idea about contracting have you.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

      Comment


        #4
        Originally posted by missinggreenfields View Post
        At least there's someone on hand who can advise on how to claim JSA.
        Now theres an idea...
        Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          You've absolutely no idea about contracting have you.
          Jeez NLUK mun.....

          YMMV but IN MY EXPERIENCE if a client is looking to cut costs by making redundancies then its often not very long before they work out that getting rid of contractors is a good idea too. Surely you can see this?

          Not always because sometimes a client will value you staying because you're an easily removable cost at some point in the future.
          Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

          Comment


            #6
            I've been at a couple of firms where they have got rid of permies but extended me. The permies are booted out as they don't have the ongoing skills required.
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
              I've been at a couple of firms where they have got rid of permies but extended me. The permies are booted out as they don't have the ongoing skills required.
              Yes but I find it depends on the reasons for getting rid of permies. If its for financial reasons alone (as I think it is for current client) then the contractors get looked at at some point.
              Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
                Jeez NLUK mun.....

                YMMV but IN MY EXPERIENCE if a client is looking to cut costs by making redundancies then its often not very long before they work out that getting rid of contractors is a good idea too. Surely you can see this?

                Not always because sometimes a client will value you staying because you're an easily removable cost at some point in the future.
                Would these be contractors that should be on the perm pay roll in the first place?

                Or contractors that are driving potential money making, or other, projects for the client, that will be evaluated on a number of factors including, cost, risk, return, efficiency, required regulatory......etc.

                It goes deeper than just perm redundancies = contractors given notice.
                The Chunt of Chunts.

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
                  Yes but I find it depends on the reasons for getting rid of permies. If its for financial reasons alone (as I think it is for current client) then the contractors get looked at at some point.
                  You've no idea about being a permie do you.
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Can this be moved to the General forums please?
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X