• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How the USA gets rid of Trump

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    We don't want true PR as by true PR you get right or left wing fascist parties holding the balance of power. You wouldn't like a party like the BNP or Momentum deciding policy.
    This is one flaw. Another is your local MP could be chosen for you and is not then not really accountable. The upper echelons of the Parties would be untouchable and you would never have the big beasts falling like Balls and Portillo.
    But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

Originally posted by pjclarke View Post
      American politics is broken. Turnout less than 60%, a president elected to power on fewer votes than his interloper.
      Seriously, you think that's a big deal? Even Trump can explain to you why it's not.

In the UK wouldn't 60% be a fairly good turnout?
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
        Seriously, you think that's a big deal? Even Trump can explain to you why it's not.

When you are in denial nothing satisfies you.
        Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Depends on the constituency and what the vote is for. In European, local and by-elections a 60% turnout is magnificent.

In my area for a GE a 60% is OK simply because turnouts have been over 70% for the last 5 elections, there as in Sunderland such a turnout would be very good.
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
            Try reading that sentence back to yourself, and then ask yourself a simple question. Would you be quite happy if that woman was your wife, sister, daughter or another female friend?
            My wife, sister (I don't have one but if I did), daughter (when she is old enough) or another female friend can consent to anything they like.

Obviously if my wife consented to being touched up by someone else I would not be happy but other than that as long as they above the age of consent they can let someone touch them up without me being unhappy about it.
            "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

Originally posted by pjclarke View Post

No doubt there are women only too keen to get intimate with the powerful flaxen-haired billionaire, however there are others with whom this would constitute uninvited sexual harassment...
              There are but they were not the object of his pathetic, juvenile fantasy. He was talking about women who let him do anything he wants because he is a star.
              "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

Actual turnout was 52.3%, (54.9% 2010, 58.2% in 2008, ).

Uk managed 66% last year. More than 4 in 10 Americans stayed home. Whatever your sympathies, both the absolute number and the trend are no cause for celebration. I agree with Churchill.
                My subconscious is annoying. It's got a mind of its own.

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
                  You and a great many others. I can't understand why, in this country, all of the opposition parties are not now pushing for a Proportional Representation system to replace our outdated FPTP muddle.
                  It is unarguably a fairer and much more democratic system, and much more likely to improve voter turnout in future Elections.
                  Without major change turnout figures will continue to slump to the point where the powers that be will try and make voting mandatory.
                  And that would be completely wrong.
                  Are you sure, Shaun? We ended up with a BNP bloke in London thanks to PR. And they were only standing in a few boroughs. PR creates as many problems as it seeks to solve. Look at the crazy coalition governments all over Europe, with new elections every 20 mins or so. The grass isn't always greener, etc...
                  His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

We had a referendum for AV in 2011.
                    Yes we did. AV, which was neither one thing or the other. A fudged middle-ground half-arsed option. Hardly surprising it was poo-pooed.

Both Labour and the Tories were against it so the majority of the population stupidity voted against it
                    Back in 2011 they both were. Not sure anyone other than the sitting Tory Government would still be all in favour of it. Doesn't look like it will work out so well for Labour in future.

We don't want true PR as by true PR you get right or left wing fascist parties holding the balance of power. You wouldn't like a party like the BNP or Momentum deciding policy.
                    Not sure that argument really stacks up. That would only ever be the case over topics that were relatively contentious and safeguards could be built in to mitigate this.
                    “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by Gibbon View Post
                      This is one flaw. Another is your local MP could be chosen for you and is not then not really accountable. The upper echelons of the Parties would be untouchable and you would never have the big beasts falling like Balls and Portillo.
                      MPs are seldom that accountable nowadays anyway. Most of those with any real influence spend most of their time in the Westminster village anyway.
                      As for the "big beasts", their influence would be restricted because they would seldom have big enough majorities in the House to bludgeon through many policies that were not roundly accepted across the political spectrum.
                      “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Working...
                      X