• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The Price of Brexit? More Indians?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

On a past project we were allocated 6 "developers" in my skill set.
    The quality was shocking, they couldn't even format reports correctly.

Luckily we showed the management their "work", we then replaced them with two people of my own choosing.

I believe my mate was the most grateful, as I had previously tasked him with looking after the offshore team, as he hadn't done it before and in my words, "it would be good experience".
    The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
      Correct, or outside drinking tea...
      It's bloody demarcation, that's what it is. Skiving off and drinking tea is a British worker's job.
      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
        It's bloody demarcation, that's what it is. Skiving off and drinking tea is a British worker's job.
        I believe we bloody well taught them
        The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by bobspud View Post
          Sadly you and most of the people on this board know the shocking quality of some of the solution integrators that use Asia as their resource pools. However, most of the senior members of staff that make the deals on the clients side don't care that the result will slow their business down, actively increase costs in practice, or make it hard to change direction or collaborate. None of those statements has a tangible outcome for the CxO. So it boils down to an accountancy trick or two to make: "Unbundling your non core business activities" look like a great idea.

Outsourcing is a mindset that MBA professionals swallowed like suckers. Until they are all gone there will always be a chief exec somewhere that is continually moving to the next company and ******* it up with yet another outsourcing deal with the same guys that are wrecking the last five companies as well.
          I've worked with off-shore teams from more than one Asian country and with individuals from multiple Asian countries. None of them have showed the level of sexism and incompetence as the Indian teams and individuals I've dealt with.
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
            I've worked with off-shore teams from more than one Asian country and with individuals from multiple Asian countries. None of them have showed the level of sexism and incompetence as the Indian teams and individuals I've dealt with.
            That's your experience; I've seen incompetence in various offshore locations

The sexism part, I'll agree with.
            The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
              I believe we bloody well taught them

I remember being shocked when for the first time an entire walked out to have a "tea break".

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
                That's your experience; I've seen incompetence in various offshore locations

The sexism part, I'll agree with.
                To be fair I've seen incompetence from European teams based in other countries.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                  I've worked in other countries with teams from countries other than (and as well as) India, specifically the Philippines, Egypt and Romania and I have to echo what you say about the incomeptence from the Indian teams.

As for the sexism, well all I can say is that I used to contract for a company who outsourced their recruitment process. None of us was renewed and an Indian guy was appointed as programme manager. All female middle management (that I knew of) handed in their notice within weeks.

There's nothing racist in this - I've had really good relations with many of the Indians I've worked with but I have to admit to sometimes feeling somehat frustrated when such poor talent is in direct competition to the services I provide and it's not just down to cost because wherever I've worked recently, the Indians have been contrcating through brollies/ltds at the same rate as everyone else.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Blue Plymouth View Post
                    I've worked in other countries with teams from countries other than (and as well as) India, specifically the Philippines, Egypt and Romania and I have to echo what you say about the incomeptence from the Indian teams.

As for the sexism, well all I can say is that I used to contract for a company who outsourced their recruitment process. None of us was renewed and an Indian guy was appointed as programme manager. All female middle management (that I knew of) handed in their notice within weeks.

There's nothing racist in this - I've had really good relations with many of the Indians I've worked with but I have to admit to sometimes feeling somehat frustrated when such poor talent is in direct competition to the services I provide and it's not just down to cost because wherever I've worked recently, the Indians have been contrcating through brollies/ltds at the same rate as everyone else.
                    I think the key thing for me is that generally you are engaged with Indians (or any offshore team for that matter) normally via a third party consultancy.

The consultancies sole goal is to make as much money as possible out of you.

In order to this you do not want your dev team to solve problems you want them to be a slow and incompetent as you can get away with so as to make more money.

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
                      I think the key thing for me is that generally you are engaged with Indians (or any offshore team for that matter) normally via a third party consultancy.

The consultancies sole goal is to make as much money as possible out of you.

In order to this you do not want your dev team to solve problems you want them to be a slow and incompetent as you can get away with so as to make more money.
                      Oddly enough I saw this on a project from a UK based medium sized consultancy. The client using them (who I was in a contract with) dropped them and bought everything in house.

On the other hand better consultancies look "to land and expand".

Comment

Working...
                      X