• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The Price of Brexit? More Indians?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Am i missing something? The first line of the article is

"Theresa May has rejected calls to relax Indian visa rules, saying the UK has a "good system" for applications."

And yet this thread is called - The Price of Brexit - More Indians

Yes Indian is effectively saying that to get better trade deals we need to essentially relax immigration control...

Lets see what those 'better' trade deals are first.....

The UK and India: a match not made in trade | FT Data

Comment

If we have actually enacted the law that ensures that skilled workers brought on shore have to be paid a medium income for their role so 35K+ for most of the IT work, Then I have no problem relaxing the Indian visa's. However, if the idea of forcing them to be paid like humans rather than ran as slaves went in the long grass then the VIsa's should be hammered tight.

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
        Instead of an influx of Poles etc. taking over in construction and hospitality, keeping rates of pay low, we'll have an influx of Indians taking over high-tech jobs. "Project manager wanted. Minimum wage."
        This will never happen. The sad fact of the matter is our default white male senior management want to work with people like them. Not some poor Indian guy that has eaten far too much food containing onions and garlic in the past 24 hours to be put in close quarters with their thousand pound suit.

Also if you have ever been in the proximity to a fully autonomous Indian onshore team you will know the total chaos that they seem to manage over the simplest task. I am sure there will be good teams somewhere but in 20 years I have not seen one of found anyone that knows what they are doing that has seen one either.

Comment

Originally posted by bobspud View Post
          This will never happen. The sad fact of the matter is our default white male senior management want to work with people like them. Not some poor Indian guy that has eaten far too much food containing onions and garlic in the past 24 hours to be put in close quarters with their thousand pound suit.

Also if you have ever been in the proximity to a fully autonomous Indian onshore team you will know the total chaos that they seem to manage over the simplest task. I am sure there will be good teams somewhere but in 20 years I have not seen one of found anyone that knows what they are doing that has seen one either.
          +1, they require a hell of a lot of hands on management to get anything out of them.
          Phone call, explain, then mail setting out step by step. If you do not do this then, generally, they will just get "stuck" and down tools for the rest of the day.
          The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
            +1, they require a hell of a lot of hands on management to get anything out of them.
            Phone call, explain, then mail setting out step by step. If you do not do this then, generally, they will just get "stuck" and down tools for the rest of the day.
            They don't down tools they are busy doing nothing.
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

Correct, or outside drinking tea, or should I say chai
              The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                Correct, or outside drinking tea, or should I say chai
                Hmmm looks like a bit of stereotyping there.... almost racist that !

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
                  Hmmm looks like a bit of stereotyping there.... almost racist that !
                  No, not all, are you NATs socky ?

Just stating my experience with managing offshore teams, which is something I have had to do on a number of occasions.
                  I was in fact suggesting my favoured management strategy, if you have a better one, I would like to hear it.
                  The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

No, not all, are you NATs socky ?

Just stating my experience with managing offshore teams, which is something I have had to do on a number of occasions.
                    I was in fact suggesting my favoured management strategy, if you have a better one, I would like to hear it.
                    +1 I've had to do the same everytime I've offshored something that way.

It wouldn't be so bad but I've even written step by step documents covered most scenarios where it could deviate or go wrong and they've still failed to complete stuff..

They then don't pick up the phone (as specified in both the introduction and if things don't work section) and ask anything because they don't want to annoy me, they just flag it as a bug without stating what they did before hand.

I now insist on testers running screen capture as they test so I can see what they did (wrong) so we can duplicate the bug..
                    Last edited by eek; 7 November 2016, 09:08.
                    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                      Trade deals should involve the movement of goods not people.
                      Trade is about leverage, if we want Indian money, they want something in return, and its access to our jobs.

It is the exact same argument that we will be having with the EU over the next two years
                      Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                      I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Working...
                      X