• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The Price of Brexit? More Indians?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
    No, not all, are you NATs socky ?

Just stating my experience with managing offshore teams, which is something I have had to do on a number of occasions.
    I was in fact suggesting my favoured management strategy, if you have a better one, I would like to hear it.
    Lol no all my experiences mirror that of the posters on this thread!

In fact after 4 or 5 times of being asked to sign something off based on a scratchy phone call with someone who only spoke at best pidgin english I told 'de management' to stuck the project up their arse.

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
      Hmmm looks like a bit of stereotyping there.... almost racist that !
      It's not racist if it's true. My current gig it's the same, we have a mix of onshore, "nearshore" (Polish) and offshore consultancy workers. The Polish are actually very good to give them credit (I suspect they're not as cheap as the Indians but not as expensive as me ). The Indians - barring a few rare exceptions - need a huge amount of hand-holding, have zero initiative, and if they get stuck just stop working.

Come 4pm you can find most of the onshore ones congregated in our kitchen areas just standing around chatting. They might be 1/4 of the cost but I'd be willing to bet they're much less than 1/4 as useful.

Comment

Originally posted by Willapp View Post
        Come 4pm you can find most of the onshore ones congregated in our kitchen areas just standing around chatting. They might be 1/4 of the cost but I'd be willing to bet they're much less than 1/4 as useful.
        I dunno. They saved me a fortune in T&S expenses at my last client.

Idli fry & dosa masala all round every morning

Comment

Why do we want more Indian trade deals, given how well Tata have done for the British steel industry?

In terms of the Indian IT teams, similar experiences here. They function just below average when cornered like rats in traps and p*ss poor the rest of the time. Unfortunately cheapness trumps quality in the environment in which we're currently operating.
          The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
            Hmmm looks like a bit of stereotyping there.... almost racist that !
            I have had to work next to them, with them and manage them.

Some of the men don't like women managing them so they go to other management and ask "Do I have to do what she says?" Others just ignore you at their peril.

There are other nationalities who provide on- and off-shore teams who don't have this particular problem.
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Stop your complaining.

The more Indians working over here the less there are sitting in call centres over there ringing me to tell me my broadband has viruses or asking about my TV.

Comment

Originally posted by I just need to test it View Post
                Stop your complaining.

The more Indians working over here the less there are sitting in call centres over there ringing me to tell me my broadband has viruses or asking about my TV.
                there are over a Billion of them so they won't run out any time soon. Anyway they can't be Indian in the Call they are all called Roger.

If they work for the company directly they tend to be better.

I did just burst out laughing this morning when one of our major brains in the UK responded to a sql query that was written in India, he was obviously a bit miiffed that this one was allowed near a keyboard.
                Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                  there are over a Billion of them so they won't run out any time soon. Anyway they can't be Indian in the Call they are all called Roger.

If they work for the company directly they tend to be better.

I did just burst out laughing this morning when one of our major brains in the UK responded to a sql query that was written in India, he was obviously a bit miiffed that this one was allowed near a keyboard.
                  The key thing in all of this is when will outsourcing stop because the quality of work has hit such a place that it's clearly not working?
                  The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
                    The key thing in all of this is when will outsourcing stop because the quality of work has hit such a place that it's clearly not working?
                    Sadly you and most of the people on this board know the shocking quality of some of the solution integrators that use Asia as their resource pools. However, most of the senior members of staff that make the deals on the clients side don't care that the result will slow their business down, actively increase costs in practice, or make it hard to change direction or collaborate. None of those statements has a tangible outcome for the CxO. So it boils down to an accountancy trick or two to make: "Unbundling your non core business activities" look like a great idea.

Outsourcing is a mindset that MBA professionals swallowed like suckers. Until they are all gone there will always be a chief exec somewhere that is continually moving to the next company and ******* it up with yet another outsourcing deal with the same guys that are wrecking the last five companies as well.

Comment

Originally posted by bobspud View Post
                      Sadly you and most of the people on this board know the shocking quality of some of the solution integrators that use Asia as their resource pools. However, most of the senior members of staff that make the deals on the clients side don't care that the result will slow their business down, actively increase costs in practice, or make it hard to change direction or collaborate. None of those statements has a tangible outcome for the CxO. So it boils down to an accountancy trick or two to make: "Unbundling your non core business activities" look like a great idea.

Outsourcing is a mindset that MBA professionals swallowed like suckers. Until they are all gone there will always be a chief exec somewhere that is continually moving to the next company and ******* it up with yet another outsourcing deal with the same guys that are wrecking the last five companies as well.
                      Yep, and we see that more as contractors having had experience with more companies than perms have. 3000 bobs has got to be cheaper and more effective than 400 London-based, season professionals though, right?

Comment

Working...
                      X