• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

New Macbook Pro

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    Small potatoes for real contractors.

Small potatoes indeed, with that amount of RAM, my 3 year old Lenovo has 32 GB
    The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
      Small potatoes for real contractors.

So pretty.

That's an Asus from a couple of years ago isn't it?

Looks a bit ZX81 ish too.
      Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
        Actually, it's occurred to me that there'll be some good deals on the 'older' MBPs out there, so I'm off to get a bargain.

I can put off the Mac/PC debate for another 6 years...
        That's what I was wondering about too

Comment

Originally posted by _V_ View Post
          This would be a better laptop for me.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Asus-ROG-G7.../dp/B01AQ8G4SW

64gb RAM and a good GPU for CUDA work.
          You ain't getting 64gb ram in any laptop mate, and that laptop will run mine craft just fine so buy now!

Comment

Originally posted by barrydidit View Post
            That's what I was wondering about too
            Sitting in my office with my 2011 MBP, 17" non-reflective screen, 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD. Only used for photo/video editing.

If I was going to sell it, I'd also sell my Dell desktop (that's pushing 10 years old) and buy an iMac.
            …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by SlipTheJab View Post
              You ain't getting 64gb ram in any laptop mate, and that laptop will run mine craft just fine so buy now!
              Um mine has a mere 48gb because I couldn't be justify the £107 it would have cost to upgrade to 64gb from 48gb (The upgrade from 16-48gb was £107 I would have had to chuck the original 16gb to get to 64gb).

I believe Apple's argument is that their ssd hard disk is so fast you won't notice the swap. Given that this laptop has just about as fast an NVME pci card as you can get I don't think its a valid argument - there are times when you just need a lot of memory.

So I actually now have no regrets moving away from a mac. Yep the laptop is a bit bigger than the macbook pro (I suppose I could have got the precision 5510 rather than the 7510) but its still a better fit for my needs.
              merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                Um mine has a mere 48gb because I couldn't be justify the £107 it would have cost to upgrade to 64gb from 48gb (The upgrade from 16-48gb was £107 I would have had to chuck the original 16gb to get to 64gb).

I believe Apple's argument is that their ssd hard disk is so fast you won't notice the swap. Given that this laptop has just about as fast an NVME pci card as you can get I don't think its a valid argument - there are times when you just need a lot of memory.

So I actually now have no regrets moving away from a mac. Yep the laptop is a bit bigger than the macbook pro (I suppose I could have got the precision 5510 rather than the 7510) but its still a better fit for my needs.
                A lot of manufacturers seem to be thinking that way, I prefer to have the extra RAM, also.
                Mine has SSD and 32GB and runs like a dream even though its 3 years old.
                The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
                  +1

Time to start looking more closely at the Microsoft Surface I'm afraid...
                  Only if you want to buy three of them to every one MacBook...

One of the departments that I know bought a batch of the 11" MacBooks as a test machine they had to reject it in the end over concerns around TPM chips. But the demo machines have lasted the full year in one piece while the first surface came home in a box of bits inside two weeks...

We keep having this eternal rant around "Don't like Apple..." but the facts stand that they are cheaper to buy and own over any other vendor...

Even IBM were surprised by that.

Comment

Originally posted by bobspud View Post
                    Only if you want to buy three of them to every one MacBook...

One of the departments that I know bought a batch of the 11" MacBooks as a test machine they had to reject it in the end over concerns around TPM chips. But the demo machines have lasted the full year in one piece while the first surface came home in a box of bits inside two weeks...

We keep having this eternal rant around "Don't like Apple..." but the facts stand that they are cheaper to buy and own over any other vendor...

Even IBM were surprised by that.
                    Mine is solely down to my brother as he has used Mac for years doing graphic design, I've had 20 odd years ear bending about it
                    The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
                      A lot of manufacturers seem to be thinking that way, I prefer to have the extra RAM, also.
                      Mine has SSD and 32GB and runs like a dream even though its 3 years old.
                      Yep an SSD does hide most speed issues on computers. The NVME card on here is 3 times faster than the SSD drive and I still need the memory - I mean part of it is to be able to state my machine is 48gb/ 1tb/512gb (which lets be honest is what I lot of apple people would buy the extra memory for) but it is because there are times when you just need it...
                      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Working...
                      X