• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

New Macbook Pro

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by eek View Post
    Yep an SSD does hide most speed issues on computers. The NVME card on here is 3 times faster than the SSD drive and I still need the memory - I mean part of it is to be able to state my machine is 48gb/ 1tb/512gb (which lets be honest is what I lot of apple people would buy the extra memory for) but it is because there are times when you just need it...
    Especially if you run VMs. I'm looking at setting up one of these at some stage:-

https://go.sap.com/uk/developer/topi...a-express.html
    The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

The arguments over architecture are thin if you ask me. If the BUS speed between CPU and SSD versus RAM are similar, then who gives a monkeys? It is likely one day architecture will cease to exist in its current form and just be all on a single chip.

Even still 16GB is huge. Were I running a monte Carlo simulation of up to 10,000 iterations it would be done in minutes compared to a machine I used to leave running overnight at the client's workplace. If I'm running virtual machine alongside analysis I've got my iMac, the laptop is only really for use when travelling to customers.
      "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
        The arguments over architecture are thin if you ask me. If the BUS speed between CPU and SSD versus RAM are similar, then who gives a monkeys? It is likely one day architecture will cease to exist in its current form and just be all on a single chip.

Even still 16GB is huge. Were I running a monte Carlo simulation of up to 10,000 iterations it would be done in minutes compared to a machine I used to leave running overnight at the client's workplace. If I'm running virtual machine alongside analysis I've got my iMac, the laptop is only really for use when travelling to customers.
        The thing is that there is an impact which is why those of us on here that need the memory already know that that Macbook is fundamentally flawed for our needs. Heck I've seen people commenting that 16gb isn't enough for running chrome they way they browser the internet but understandable
        Last edited by eek; 28 October 2016, 09:43.
        merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
          Sitting in my office with my 2011 MBP, 17" non-reflective screen, 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD. Only used for photo/video editing.

If I was going to sell it, I'd also sell my Dell desktop (that's pushing 10 years old) and buy an iMac.
          I'm using your MBP!!

The only reason I'm think of getting a new one is I want a MBP for another 6 years and sadly I think that this will probably only another 2-3 years.
          "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
          - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
            Heck I've seen people commenting that 16gb isn't enough for running chrome they way they browser the internet but understandable
            Seems to me that software is poorly written.
            "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
              Especially if you run VMs. I'm looking at setting up one of these at some stage:-

https://go.sap.com/uk/developer/topi...a-express.html
              Have you heard of Microsoft Azure? or AWS? if you want to build things like that its far easier to go use a cloud provider these days. In fact there will probably be a set of AMI's to test with already...

Comment

Originally posted by bobspud View Post
                Have you heard of Microsoft Azure? or AWS? if you want to build things like that its far easier to go use a cloud provider these days. In fact there will probably be a set of AMI's to test with already...
                Very good point, cheers, we have only just started to look / think about it actually, the free edition is fairly new to me.
                The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
                  Very good point, cheers, we have only just started to look / think about it actually, the free edition is fairly new to me.
                  I used to spend hours faffing about with VMware I gave up because as others have said the memory needs get stupid. I decided that it was a good idea to learn a new skill as well. Amazon for the win I don't even have VMware on my mac anymore.

Comment

I use the Mac (8GB ram - 256 on board flash) for editing photos - any vm work is basic would go to the server (64GB - 12 TB + 1 TB SSD) which now has an SSD so spins up VMs pretty quick and advanced builds go onto Azure and can move VMs over VPN from my server to Azure if required - usually quicker to spin up a new one on Azure, but if there is weeks of config on there, the migration may be worth it. Script out automated builds for 100+ nodes on Azure and script remembers to shut them down so I don't rack silly charges. Works for me

Comment

Fail.
                      Someone from Apple Business solutions phoned me today to gauge my interest in the new stuff.
                      A: so what do you think of the new MBP?
                      Z: I'm rather disappointed to be honest
                      A: What didn't you like about it?
                      Z: I had hoped for at least 32 GB of RAM, not the latest fashion accessory to look cool in Starbucks

I was planning on spending some serious money on an iMac, iPad and possibly a MBP to go with it but now I'm on Lenovo's website configuring a P50...

Comment

Working...
                      X