• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Can't live on £50k a year

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CretinWatcher View Post
    I've been watching videos on how to do it and seems straightforward. Maybe even quite enjoyable.
    Only problem is I need it curved not straight-edged - I think that's the difficult bit.
    Go down the local DIY shop and shout

"I need decking you useless cretins!"

Let us know how you get on.

Comment

The Dark matter on the monthlies is the repaying of loans bought for their 'lifestyle'. IIRC The NAO currently recons that the average ratio to earning is 1:1.2 for debt. This compares to 1:3 for savings (in the form of pensions etc) for the 1970's. Credit is expensive money in my book.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
        Go down the local DIY shop and shout

"I need decking you useless cretins!"

Let us know how you get on.
        That's my plan B.

Comment

It's Malcolm the trainspotter
          Anyway I didn't realise decking was a class thing, more an old fashioned 80s thing - but there were many good things about the 80s.
          According to an article I read in the Times a few weeks ago, decking, hanging baskets and barbecues are among the outdoor accoutrements generally considered lower middle class by the cognoscenti. Oh and patios.

Comment

Originally posted by The Plantswoman View Post
            According to an article I read in the Times a few weeks ago, decking, hanging baskets and barbecues are among the outdoor accoutrements generally considered lower middle class by the cognoscenti. Oh and patios.
            WGAS what Sebastian Windsor-Smythe of Knightsbridge thinks?

A Saturday afternoon BBQ and beers with friends on my decking sounds good. Not only that but it would be with genuine friends, rather than those that Sebastian thought he had but who would evaporate when the poor chap ran into money worries. Screw anyone else. If they're too busy passing opinion on others, they clearly have an empty life of their own.
            The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

I've been watching videos on how to do it and seems straightforward. Maybe even quite enjoyable.
              Only problem is I need it curved not straight-edged - I think that's the difficult bit.
              Jigsaw it is then. Less risk and less fun.

Comment

Originally posted by sal View Post
                FreeView + Netflix/Amazon Prime - The only thing you miss is live sports
                I can't watch all the things I fancy on Freeview most are on in the background when I'm in the Manshack.. I have prime as well which the kids watch.

Not had Sky for a decade.
                Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Equalizer View Post
                  Buy a mitre saw. Superb fun with a mild dose of danger too. I bought a decent second-hand one. It has a nice graphic of a hand with detached fingers solely to remind you that you're only a few centimetres away from a life changing injury!
                  Make sure you get a decent stand for it. The risks multiply if you try to do it on the floor etc.
                  Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                    Make sure you get a decent stand for it. The risks multiply if you try to do it on the floor etc.
                    I'll second that. Mine came with correct one. Wouldn't fancy using it otherwise.

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
                      WGAS what Sebastian Windsor-Smythe of Knightsbridge thinks?
                      The article was in the context of saleability & what certain types look for when buying a house.

Not views that I share obviously.

Though, I must confess, I looked at a place not far from Radstock recently and every property on the street had a satellite dish.

Told me all I needed to know. I was out...

Comment

Working...
                      X