• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Can't live on £50k a year

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CretinWatcher View Post
    Actually when I get on the bench, which doesn't seem to be anytime soon, I have a challenging project I intend to tackle - installing decking. Will no doubt be a sharp learning curve, as my woodworking skills are next to zero.
    If I fail, well I'll have learned something and probably only lost a few hundred. Worth a shot.
    As long as you don't lose a finger it's a good experience/exercise.

Comment

Actually when I get on the bench, which doesn't seem to be anytime soon, I have a challenging project I intend to tackle - installing decking. Will no doubt be a sharp learning curve, as my woodworking skills are next to zero.
      If I fail, well I'll have learned something and probably only lost a few hundred. Worth a shot.
      Buy a mitre saw. Superb fun with a mild dose of danger too. I bought a decent second-hand one. It has a nice graphic of a hand with detached fingers solely to remind you that you're only a few centimetres away from a life changing injury!

Comment

Originally posted by sal View Post
        It could be like Diver. You could put a circular saw through you hand and be off work for a month.

Comment

Oh dear.

How frightfully lower middle class.

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
            I'd love to know a cheaper alternative, seriously. I pay £90 a month for hundreds of channels which are mostly complete tosh! Freeview perhaps?

Depending on your tastes for sport, movies, TV shows, the cheaper way of watching Sky is via NowTV unless you want sports more than the occasional day at a time. Plenty of package deals offering several months of movies or TV along with the box with no commitment (can cancel the sub anytime via the box without having to call them for the usual Sky hard sell). The box also comes with catch-up apps of the main freeview channels and also BBC sport app to watch the online content (such as the 14 HD streams they had for the Olympics)

Then the Amazon/Netflix streaming services if other content appeals.

Or the less legitimate way that has replaced the desire for dodgy satellite set top boxes, Kodi via various android boxes/devices including Amazon Firestick.

I have one of each, NowTV box, Amazon Video via my Prime sub, Kodi via Amazon Firestick. Covers most bases and no longer feel the need to resort to dodgier outlets such as torrents/usenet as can usually find what I'm looking for via one of those with a bit of patience.
            Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
              It could be like Diver. You could put a circular saw through you hand and be off work for a month.
              Those pictures of Diver's injuries looked fooking serious. The sort you could die from - blood loss.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Equalizer View Post
                Buy a mitre saw. Superb fun with a mild dose of danger too. I bought a decent second-hand one. It has a nice graphic of a hand with detached fingers solely to remind you that you're only a few centimetres away from a life changing injury!
                And severely limiting future contracting opportunities. Mitigate the risk, get the other half to do it.
                The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by The Plantswoman View Post
                  Oh dear.

How frightfully lower middle class.
                  You don't look that posh yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                    You don't look that posh yourself.
                    It's Malcolm the trainspotter
                    Anyway I didn't realise decking was a class thing, more an old fashioned 80s thing - but there were many good things about the 80s.

Comment

Originally posted by sal View Post
                      Originally posted by The_Equalizer View Post
                      I've been watching videos on how to do it and seems straightforward. Maybe even quite enjoyable.
                      Only problem is I need it curved not straight-edged - I think that's the difficult bit.

Comment

Working...
                      X