• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Pension vs Property

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pension vs Property

A kind of dipping my toe in to test the water type question....

I've been paying about £1k per month into a ltd co. pension for the last 10 years or so. At present, this will buy an annuity of about £2k per annum (!).

I'm thinking of moving up the housing ladder & what I'm thinking of doing is ditching the pension contributions & sticking everything into the mortgage & take a punt on house prices continuing to rise.

I only intend working for another 8-10 years.

Yes, I should speak to my financial advisor but all he'll do is advise me to stick with the pension because it's in his financial interests to do so.

Any thoughts?

Originally posted by The Plantswoman View Post

Any thoughts?
    Yeh Phil............try the fecking forum search function.
    The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
      What are you on about?

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
        Posts have to be made to get the sockie post count up... You know the game...

However this question alongside the one regarding online shopping shows that either you are a sockie or so stupid I'm surprised you can breath at the same time as typing...
        merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

So if you have only £2k/year income from your pension, and you're planning on retiring in 8-10 years, what will you live on? If you've upsized, then great, you'll have a bigger house....... and no income...?
          And the lord said unto John; "come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

Comment

Originally posted by b0redom View Post
            So if you have only £2k/year income from your pension, and you're planning on retiring in 8-10 years, what will you live on? If you've upsized, then great, you'll have a bigger house....... and no income...?
            Well what's the point of paying any more into a £100k pot that's going to pay out peanuts?

In answer to your question I guess I'll sell and down size again.

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
              Posts have to be made to get the sockie post count up... You know the game...

However this question alongside the one regarding online shopping shows that either you are a sockie or so stupid I'm surprised you can breath at the same time as typing...
              Fine, I'll just go and post somewhere else.

I'm not stupid, I'm not a sockie and if being here means conversing with rude clowns like yourself and "Mr Marky Mark" then I'm out.

Comment

Well what's the point of paying any more into a £100k pot that's going to pay out peanuts?

In answer to your question I guess I'll sell and down size again.
                But peanuts is better than nothing..... There are of course alternative ways to invest your capital.

B2L
                ISAs
                Shares
                Bonds
                etc

I currently have nothing at all in a pension pot, because of the poor returns, but I do have other bits and pieces here and there.
                And the lord said unto John; "come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

Comment

I'm not stupid, I'm not a sockie and if being here means conversing with rude clowns like yourself and "Mr Marky Mark" then I'm out.
                  Socktastic

Sees youse, shut the door on your way out
                  The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

As flounces go that is not the best I have seen, you could do a little better!

General is a bear pit - the other boards are more professional and tolerant. You have to toughen up and go with it in the General part of the forum - kind of like a rite of passage, and a coming of age.

Comment

Working...
                    X