• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Pension vs Property

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

£1k a month for 10 years should give you £120,000, if you are getting an annuity of £2k a year (based on average figures) your pot is still only worth £120k, so you have had zero growth over 10 years, (on the plus side you have had zero loss so that's at least something)

Not even MF is that tulipe at investing and he regularly buys Glencore!
    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by The Plantswoman View Post
      Well what's the point of paying any more into a £100k pot that's going to pay out peanuts?

In answer to your question I guess I'll sell and down size again.
      If you have made 120k worth of contributions into a pot for a decade that is only worth 100k then my suggestion would be to forget taking on extra mortgage debt for now and review your pension scheme.

Comment

Originally posted by tomtomagain View Post
        If you have made 120k worth of contributions into a pot for a decade that is only worth 100k then my suggestion would be to forget taking on extra mortgage debt for now and review your pension scheme.
        Agreed.
        Also forget annuities ( a 2% return, really?). Have a look into high yielding shares, you should easily get 5% return.

Comment

£120k in a BTL would have given you £6,000/year rental income profit before tax, at a rough calculation, along with capital growth in many regions of the UK.

Comment

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
            £120k in a BTL would have given you £6,000/year rental income profit before tax, at a rough calculation, along with capital growth in many regions of the UK.
            Oh well, I'll just have to find out when I can get my hands on it all so I can make alternative arrangements.

Any financial advisors offer their services here?

Comment

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
              Yeah but you have to own a BTL and that is not completely "free" from additional work ( maintenance, repairs and PITA tenants ) and dealing with a lettings agents, who are only slightly above recruitment consultants when it comes to professionalism and trust.

Also if you only have 120k you are going to be pushed to find any BTL for that price today. 10 years ago maybe. Plus the tax advantages being significantly reduced over the next few years.

Taking the OP's original situation: Small, under performing pension, reasonable monthly contributions, should they switch from "pension" to property?

Personally I am not convinced. I certainly would not go 100% property ( I wouldn't go 100% anything ).

Property prices are sky-high. I don't think you'll find anyone who would argue that they are not overpriced and are currently supported by a strong economy, record low level interest rates and surging population growth driven primarily by migration.

If any of those 3 factors reverses then the prices may well come tumbling down. Has anything happened recently that could effect those trends?
              Last edited by tomtomagain; 22 August 2016, 13:43.

Comment

BTL in the North is what the Times says... especially in a student town. I think they identified Sunderland as offering close to 10% ROI

Comment

Originally posted by tomtomagain View Post
                  Yeah but you have to own a BTL and that is not completely "free" from additional work ( maintenance, repairs and PITA tenants ) and dealing with a lettings agents, who are only slightly above recruitment consultants when it comes to professionalism and trust.

Also if you only have 120k you are going to be pushed to find any BTL for that price today. 10 years ago maybe. Plus the tax advantages being significantly reduced over the next few years.

Taking the OP's original situation: Small, under performing pension, reasonable monthly contributions, should they switch from "pension" to property?

Personally I am not convinced. I certainly would not go 100% property ( I wouldn't go 100% anything ).

Property prices are sky-high. I don't think you'll find anyone who would argue that they are not overpriced and are currently supported by a strong economy, record low level interest rates and surging population growth driven primarily by migration.

If any of those 3 factors reverses then the prices may well come tumbling down. Has anything happened recently that could effect those trends?
                  You could have made that statement any time over the last 15 years and it would still ring as true as it does today.

Comment

Originally posted by The Plantswoman View Post
                    You could have made that statement any time over the last 15 years and it would still ring as true as it does today.
                    True, but the question is how long can a market stay irrational. And how much of an impact will the changes being made on BTL tax relief on interest charges make...
                    Last edited by eek; 22 August 2016, 14:23.
                    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                      True, but the question is how long can a market stay irrational. The question is how much of an impact will the changes being made on tax relief on interest charges make...
                      In my own case, I'm bunging a lot more money at my residential mortgage & hoping the value of the property has gone up when I come to sell in 8-10 years time so the tax changes won't affect me in that respect.

That said, it's not just an investment; it's also a home. I need more space & need to be closer to a city so I will have to pay more. As a result, I won't be paying as much into my pension but the fact that my pot isn't performing well for me leads me to feel that it's not an entirely bad move.

My only worry is that all the baby boomers start popping their clogs.

Comment

Working...
                      X